Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)'s Reviews > The Ice Beneath Her

The Ice Beneath Her by Camilla Grebe

bookshelves: arc, astoria-bookshop-arcs

Told from the perspective of 3 main characters:
Emma - a poor woman from a tough childhood, engaged to a rich entrepreneur who becomes a suspect as a beheaded woman's body was found at his house.
Hanna - a behaviorist with early onset dementia and a sordid past with...
Peter - married to his job and has a fear of commitment otherwise.

The story moves along at a decent pace and the characters are extremely well developed. I loved the structure in which you learned about each character's past and how it shapes their present.
The subtlety in which you start to see the twist take place creeps up on you. This isn't a slap-you-in-the-face twist but a slow burn where your mouth falls open as everything falls into place, yet I wouldn't have guessed that was going to happen from the onset!

None of the characters are happy and there is a gloominess to the entire book as it is fairly void of humor (though I did giggle at Hanna's thought that her dementia might actually make her funny). It didn't impair my ability to have a love/hate relationship with the characters, which (for me) is perfectly fine!

This being Camilla's first solo book product, I was enamored and will be looking forward to her future work.

For those who are fans of Camilla Lackberg and Jo Nesbo, this is a book for you! Happy reading!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ice Beneath Her.

August 25, 2016 – Shelved