Honey's Reviews > Cody's Revelation

Cody's Revelation by Lavinia Lewis

Jun 05, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: sexy-shifters

In this second book in the Shifter's Haven series Cody is called home by his brother, the alpha of his pack, and discovers that what he'd always wanted but had never allowed himself to hope for has found him - his mate. But when Cody's mating is threatened by outsiders, he and Stefan find that their relationship is going to be a bit of a rocky ride.

I wasn’t very sure about Cody at the beginning. On the one hand I respected him for his unwillingness to enter into a relationship since he wouldn’t be able to give a partner who wasn’t his mate his all. On the other, he didn’t seem to have much of a personality. He barely showed any anger towards his brother for having abandoned him in the face of his father’s contempt and even when he found out about Stefan’s secret, Kelan seemed to have a stronger reaction to it than him.

Since I wasn’t sure if this had to do with Cody’s personality or his being an omega, I couldn’t really relate or connect to him as a character. Thankfully, when his mate was threatened Cody proved he did in fact have a backbone and my esteem of him doubled.

I love paranormal romance a lot more than contemporary so I was happy to see more of the wolf dynamics appear for the second half of the story. Rather than being a story about gay wolves, for the first half it seemed to be a story about gay men who happened to be wolves so I enjoyed seeing a bit more of the characters’ other half.

Even though I have to say I didn’t understand the shifters sometimes. If true mates are as important as they are, as the other half of a wolf’s soul I found it hard to believe that the wolves’ own Council would trade a mate away as a mere possession. The Council’s “family values” over anything else seemed a little forced too.

For his part, Stefan wasn’t very alphaish, which I guess is explained by the fact that he wasn’t supposed to be Alpha in the first place, but what omegas do for a pack other than calm people down (which didn’t always work for Cody) wasn’t really explained. Also, the fact that Cody and Stefan were mates and both nice people meant they fell in love ten pages in. While I normally don’t mind insta-love in werewolf stories, this one just seemed to be missing that little extra something.

Kelan’s been my favourite characters so far in the series, though Aaron – Stefan’s son – is a close second, so I’m looking forward to reading his story. Since the excerpt I read was promising, hopefully his story will be my favourite too. 3.5 stars.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cody's Revelation.

message 1: by Lavinia (new) - added it

Lavinia Lewis Hi Honey, thank you for taking the time to read and review Cody's Revelation. I really appreciate it.

To address one of your comments, the council feature more heavily in the later books in the series and many of them are corrupt, doing things that suit their own needs and business interests. The issue of 'Trading mates' and 'Family values' is revisited and explained when one of the council members has to fight against the council when his own mate comes under their radar.

Thanks again for reading!

L