Ben Zornes's Reviews > Disciplines of a Godly Man

Disciplines of a Godly Man by R. Kent Hughes

liked it
bookshelves: christian-living, christian-family

The exhortation to be disciplined can never be too frequently given to Christian men. Hughes book is a very simple, but quite helpful reminder of the basics of how a godly man should structure his life, thinking and relationships to pursue the ultimate aim of glorifying God in his life, marriage, family, work and ministry.

Hughes touches all the bases in a man's life, and reminds us to "sweat" in the exertion of living for God in the different arenas of our life. He tended to be a little heavy handed with how many anecdotes he included, but in writing to the general population of Christian men it is perhaps (unfortunately?) necessary to keep the book simple and story-filled in order to provide a starting point for many men who have not cultivated the discipline of rigorous and frequent reading.

I'd recommend this as a book for any man; I would not necessarily recommend it as a book for wives (or mothers) to force their men to read. However, if your man needs a nudge in the direction of responsibility, encourage other men in his life to get this book (or others like it) into his hands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Disciplines of a Godly Man.

August 25, 2016 – Started Reading