Naiya's Reviews > Transcendent

Transcendent by Katelyn Detweiler

I got this book through Penguin's First to Read program. This is a what-if story. Teenage Iris discovers that she might be divinely chosen to save the world. And knowing that, the book explores the choices Iris makes and how her friends and family support her as she makes her way in the newly chaotic and unfamiliar world full of desperate people hungry for salvation.

Iris is definitely something special, but even with a few mystical happenings here and there, the story is careful to keep the possibilities open. Perhaps Iris has powers. Or perhaps faith and hope is what makes the difference, and there is no magic.

I initially thought the book would be adventure and suspense, and while there is some of that, a lot of the story is about relationships and an inward journey of self-discovery and reflection. Throughout, as Iris deals with teenage issues like first love, new and old friendships, parental boundaries and the consequences of actions, she carries herself with grace and compassion rarely seen in people thrice her age. From her volunteer work in the soup kitchens to the way she draws the misfits in her school under her wing, she instinctively stands up for what's right and, reaching deep into herself and doing and saying all the right things.

Less about adventure, this story is about free will, family and the transformative power of hope and forgiveness. Definitely not my cup of tea, but the story is a well-written yarn with an intriguing mystery of whether Iris is (or is not) the messiah.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Transcendent.

August 25, 2016 – Started Reading
August 25, 2016 – Shelved
page 14
3.13% "Man, our hero is so perfect with her perfect life, I don't know if I can handle it! I'm looking forward to seeing what upsets it."
page 30
6.7% "Everyone has vividly colored eyes. So far: bright piercing green, molten gold, amethyst (contact lenses), subtle blue, vivid green with gold flecks...\n\nAlso, I think our heroine just met her bad boy love interest, him with the molten gold eyes!"
page 114
25.45% "I'm super curious to see who ends up betraying Iris. My money is on Caleb or Ari. Maybe it'll be dark horse Delia, who always says the right things. \n\nSo far, no sign of bad-boy love interest. Maybe he's the antichrist? Maybe there won't be a YA romantic subplot?"
page 120
26.79% "Oomph, I spoke too soon. Just five pages later, our heroine bumps right into her inevitable love interest. Prediction: The stumbling and bumping-into will continue happening until they fall in love."
page 448
100.0% "I'm not sure what I just read. It's so feel-good fluffy, I just can't."
August 26, 2016 – Finished Reading