Megan Westfield's Reviews > Lessons in Gravity

Oct 23, 2016

(Review from the author)
bookshelves: outdoor-adventure-fiction, new-adult
Recommended for: see above
Read 10 times. Last read September 1, 2016.

I used to be a book reviewer, so I guess it’s only fitting that I do the same for my own book. ☺ My favorite part of a book review is speculating on who might enjoy the book, so let’s start with that.

In Lessons in Gravity, I tried to write the type of book I love to read (a book that has an irresistible premise or fascinating setting, contains a love story, and forces me to stay up all night against my will). Specifically with love stories, I most connect with books that are not overly explicit. Also, while love-at-first-sight stories are always fun, I really wanted something slower to develop for Josh and April. He’s a jerk at the beginning—he’s got to let down his guard for her to get to know him before she can have feelings for him.

If you like some of the following aspects of books, you might enjoy Lessons in Gravity:

- Beta heroes (this would be Jacob in Twilight or Peeta in Hunger Games)
- Athletes and sports romances
- Strong heroines
- Enemies-to-lovers plotline
- Slow-burn romances that are on the “sweet” end of the sweet-to-erotic heat level spectrum
- An element of danger in the romance, much like in romantic suspense and thrillers
- “Second coming of age” books (i.e., new adult genre, generally about characters ages 18-26)

Additionally, I think this would be a great book for women who have visited Yosemite National Park and want to a way to spend more time there after the visit is over (especially those who watched the climbers up on the big walls and are fascinated by that). Or women who are planning a trip there soon. Lucky!

A book review typically has a short synopsis, and I have to say, it’s really hard to write such a short summary of your own project that is 300+ pages long. This is what I came up with a long time ago for the purposes of pitching the manuscript:

Landing an internship with Walkabout Films should be a dream come true for film school senior April Stephens. She’s always admired Walkabout’s documentaries and a recommendation from their award-winning director will be the key to getting her first job in the competitive film industry. The problem is, Walkabout’s next film is about rock climbing and April has no stomach for risk. That’s because three years ago, she watched a stunt pilot—her father—die in a horrific air show crash.

Despite her apprehensions, April is determined to make the internship work. In the enchanting beauty of Yosemite National Park, she learns rare cinematography techniques and finds a new family in her tight knit crew. She’s even grown close to the gorgeous, sensitive Josh Knox, a professional rock climber and star of their film. But the tenuous balance between her feelings for Josh and the reawakened trauma from the crash can’t last forever. In one month, April and Josh will meet on the side of Yosemite’s most treacherous spire. She will have a camera. He won’t be using a rope.

If you’re looking for more info about the book, like what my inspirations were and pictures of the technical gear used in the book, be sure to check out the behind-the-scenes page for Lessons in Gravity over on my website.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons in Gravity.

Quotes Megan Liked

Megan Westfield
“Even if he survived the Sorcerer, there would always be another Sorcerer, bigger and more dangerous than the last. It was just a matter of time until he died the kind of gruesome death that was the very reason people had paralyzing phobias of heights.”
Megan Westfield, Lessons in Gravity

Megan Westfield
“As they kissed, the valley and the surrounding cliffs
spun and toppled upside down. The saturated greens of the grasses, the stark white of the waterfall, and the warm grays of the cliffs merged and streamed past them in ethereal ribbons, like barely blended paint. Then the blinding blue sky bobbed back into place overhead, and the world was open and free, bursting with sublime majesty.”
Megan Westfield, Lessons in Gravity