Janice Cronch's Reviews > The Drift

The Drift by David  Maxwell

F 50x66

Science fiction at its best!

I really enjoyed David Maxwell’s first novel, Rebirth, and now he’s truly hit it out of the park with The Drift! There are futuristic technologies, relatable characters, apocalyptic circumstances, and emotional surprises. The writing pulled me in and kept me on the edge of my seat. I felt every minute of the fear, hope, anguish, and joy the characters experienced as the story unfolded. The settings were vivid and the personalities colorful.

One of the more interesting aspects to me was the notion that good and evil can be part of the same person and that situational challenges can create a very fine line between the two, at least in their own eyes. Stories within the story were compelling, particularly Holly’s and Jenny’s. I appreciated that this male author really captured the strength, intelligence, unique trials, and undeniable resilience of his female characters. Maddie’s “spit and vinegar” reminded me of my own grandmother and felt very real.

Beyond the gripping action, suspenseful turns, and intense emotional journey, this is a fascinating and complex story with undertones and overtones of societal challenges we grapple with today. Enveloped in this exciting technological thriller, there are messages of tolerance, loyalty, equality, personal responsibility, and the common threads that bind us to our communities and our world.

I’d love to see this one on the movie screen!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Drift.

August 24, 2016 – Started Reading
August 24, 2016 – Shelved
August 26, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Lex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex Allen Great review for a book we both loved. I was remiss in adding your last line, for which I wholeheartedly agree. This would make for a blockbuster film!

Janice Cronch Thank you! I thoroughly enjoyed your in-depth review and was happy that a professional reviewer felt the same way I did about this book. And, I'm very excited that the review led me to your books. I've started No Heaven and love that the series was inspired by the Beatles' Imagine. Can't wait to finish them all!