Katy's Reviews > The legend of the glorious adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the land of Flanders & elsewhere

The legend of the glorious adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in t... by Charles de Coster

Jun 04, 2011

Read 2 times. Last read January 1, 2003.

Please note: I read this book probably in 2003 or so, and wrote the review a long time ago, so please don't judge by my current standards, but I'm wanting to get this book "out there", so am reposting this review.

How I Came to Read This Book: My husband had this book and recommended that I read it. It is a large tome and I approached it with a bit of trepidation, expecting something Dickenson, but I was very pleasantly surprised. It is very approachable and highly readable.

My Synopsis: This book is, basically, about the life of Tyl Ulenspiegl, from his birth, following him as he grows into manhood. He is a highly charismatic person and, although it is a bit of a detriment in the times he lives in (set in the earliest years of Christianity, when it was most set on wiping out any vestiges of Paganism using the most ghastly means possible, and upholding "holiness" using those same means), quite the ladies' man. The story follows him as he is banished from his home village in Belgium (I think - it has been a couple years since I read it and it is a bit hard to excavate from where it is right now) for many years (as well as keeping us updated on what is transpiring back home) and he keeps running across many of the same characters in his travels. He unfortunately arrives home just in time for a gross miscarriage in justice; but I do not wish to ruin the story by providing any spoilers, so I will not go into any specific details.

My Thoughts and Review: This book provides many moments of laugh-out-loud hilarity; it also has just as many moments of somber sorrow. It provides ghastly horror as well. The overall message of the story seemed to be that when the Men in Black Robes (religion) were given too much power over the people, then destruction of their lifestyle was sure to follow; however, life would go on, because humanity could rise above any circumstances thrown their way. In the end, it is a message of the triumph of humanity over the pettiness of religious dogma, I felt. I should also point out that not all religious persons were painted in negative light - only those who were extremeists. Many were true Christians, willing to follow the examples set by Christ of true love for their neighbors. I don't want to put off people from reading this book, thinking that it slams all religion, because it doesn't - it just speaks very strongly against dogmatics who attack that which they don't understand and thus feel they must destroy it. This is an amazing book and I am very sad that is is no longer in print - I hope that people can get their hands on it and read it - it is very worthwhile.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The legend of the glorious adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the land of Flanders & elsewhere.

Finished Reading (Nook Edition)
Started Reading
January 1, 2003 – Finished Reading
June 4, 2011 – Shelved (Nook Edition)
June 4, 2011 – Shelved

Katherine Coble Long story, but the short version is that we had a calendar illustrated with Dadaesque moments from Tyl Eulenspeigal. My husband's nickname became "Til" and I sent away for an English translation of this book from a rare book dealer. It's a family favourite. ;)

Katy Katherine wrote: "Long story, but the short version is that we had a calendar illustrated with Dadaesque moments from Tyl Eulenspeigal. My husband's nickname became "Til" and I sent away for an English translation ..."

That is AWESOME! :-) I found today that it's now available free on Kindle

message 3: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Ormiston-Smith It is now available for Kindle for 9.99

Katy Tabitha wrote: "It is now available for Kindle for 9.99"

*shakes head* Get it from Gutenburg.org or archive.org, then; I'm sure it's free there if it's been made available. Kindle just trying to grab a buck off lazy people I guess...

Katy Alan wrote: "free copy that is"

That was the one I was talking about - maybe there are a bunch of OCR errors in it or something, and that's why they're offering a different copy for more - maybe it's cleaner. *shrug*

message 6: by Tabitha (new)

Tabitha Ormiston-Smith how about giving us the link to the free one Alan? I'd really like to read this but I certainly can't afford 9.99

Katy Tabitha wrote: "how about giving us the link to the free one Alan? I'd really like to read this but I certainly can't afford 9.99"

Try this: http://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Advent...
Can you get ebooks from Amazon.com, or do you need to go through another of their sites?