Tito's Reviews > Like a Flower in Bloom

Like a Flower in Bloom by Siri Mitchell

21907583
The audiobook for this was great, and the narration of Elizabeth Sastre was absolutely fabulous, so I'm writing this entire review with a British accent in mind. The main character Charlotte was very eccentric and I loved the passion she had for both her dad and her plants. Plus her naivety at social conventions made me laugh out loud.

And honestly, this book was really different. I mean, I've never read a historical novel where the main character is such an accomplished botanist and scientist. I could tell that a lot of research went into this, and there were a few geeky jokes made that made me giggle. And the dialogue between Charlotte and Mr. Trimble kept a smile in my face too. That, and Charlotte's schemes with her new friend Ms. Templetom who made me laugh quite a few times. In addition, I found it cool that Charlotte always compared things to botany, and there were quite a few insights made in this book that surprised me.

But the problem is that the majority of the book was about Charlotte's social failings, and while it was funny, it began to get tiresome because every "funny" encounter followed the same pattern of Charlotte not understanding certain rules, and then insulting someone or saying something "shocking". But that didn't bother me as much as the fact that those social misunderstandings went on for too long in my opinion, and the book could've been a lot shorter. And I felt like we didn't really get to know the love interest Mr.Trimble well enough, but in the end, everything worked out.

In conclusion, a sweet and humorous story. I definitely liked it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like a Flower in Bloom.

August 23, 2016 – Started Reading
August 23, 2016 – Shelved
August 23, 2016 –
20.0% "You know you have a problem when you're up at 2am in the morning reading."
August 24, 2016 –
August 24, 2016 –
50.0% "Oh man the characters here have me cracking up. But the jokes are so geeky. I know I'm only laughing because these jokes are all related to biology and botany. Sigh"
August 25, 2016 – Shelved as: 3-4-stars