Miriam's Reviews > Three Men In A Boat: (To Say Nothing Of The Dog)

Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

Jun 04, 2011

bookshelves: victorian, travel
Read from June 04 to July 10, 2011

This isn't really about three men in a boat, it is about Jerome being funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Men In A Boat.

06/12/2011 page 33
11.0% "Let your boat of life be light, packed only with what you need--a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, some one to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink."
06/12/2011 page 47
15.0% "...one of those many things that I feel I know more about than any person living. (It surprises me, myself, sometimes, how many of these subjects there are.)"
07/05/2011 page 75
25.0% "Why, all our art treasures of to-day are only the dug-up commonplaces of three or four hundred years ago... Will it be the same in the future? ... Will rows of our willow-pattern dinnerplates be ranged above the chimney-pieces of the great in the years 2000 and odd? Will the white cups with the gold rims and the beautiful gold flower inside (species unknown)... be carefully mended, and stood upon a bracket?"
07/07/2011 page 137
45.0% "People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you very happy and contented" 1 comment
07/08/2011 page 157
51.0% "I <3 Medievalism"
07/08/2011 page 264
86.0% "Annoyance of courting couples making out all over."
07/09/2011 page 244
80.0% ""Fallen" woman who drowns herself."

Miriam Do I just navigate poorly, or is goodreads not very good at listing older editions? I am reading the 1889 edition by A.L. Burt, 52-58 Duane Street, New York. 332 pages, I think hardbound but it has been rebound in library binding. No illustrator credited.

message 2: by Wastrel (new) - added it

Wastrel *is jealous of you and your victorian editions*

While we're on it, what is 'library binding', anyway?

Miriam Well, I borrowed it from the library, so I don't really have it to gloat over, but it was nice to get.

Library binding is a sturdy acrylic binding designed to make the books last longer, and also to make them easier to photocopy. It is done by cutting out the original spine [wince] and resewing blocks of pages. Or sometimes, with books that are used a lot for schools etc, the publishers issue a library-bound edition as well so the library can skip this step.

message 4: by Wastrel (last edited Aug 19, 2016 08:38AM) (new) - added it

Wastrel Huh. I had no idea that was a thing!

(I have a really nice TMiaB somewhere - it's leather bound (or fake, I don't know), but soft, not a hardback. The kind of thing you often find on old bibles and dictionaries. But I can't find the darned thing now...)

Miriam Wastrel wrote: "Huh. I had no idea that was a thing!
So is there any obvious way to tell the difference between a 'library binding' and a hardback without a dust jacket?"

Library binding usually feels thicker and like plastic. And generally the shelving info is stamped into the binding.

I know that binding you mean -- I'm never sure whether to count it as hardback or paper.

message 6: by Wastrel (new) - added it

Wastrel Ah. Not sure I've ever come across a library binding, then, despite having been to a fair few libraries! Maybe it's more common in the US, or in public libraries? Or maybe I've just edited it out of all my memories, that's not impossible...

Miriam It may be less common in the UK. I don't off hand recall seeing anything bound that way. But I mostly used the Bodleian, where they only let you read the books there at a table, so they wouldn't be as prone to being damaged.

message 8: by Wastrel (new) - added it

Wastrel Miriam wrote: "Wastrel wrote: "Huh. I had no idea that was a thing!

Library binding usually f..."

Since I've no doubt this question has been burning you up ever since: turns out that type of binding is called "limp binding". Historically it was often specifically "limp vellum binding", although the ones I'm talking about aren't actually vellum (though I think I have an old poetry book that's limp vellum bound).

Quoth wikipedia: "by the 1880s limp bindings came to be largely restricted to devotional books, diaries, and sentimental verse, sometimes with yapp edges."

Miriam Oh, yes, I do associate that binding with prayer books and hymnals.

I tend to dislike Yapp edges because they so often look battered. Shallow of me.

message 10: by Wastrel (new) - added it

Wastrel Well, the battering is the point!

Come to think of it, I actualy have a diary/journal limp-bound in leather, that somebody gave me. Possibly even with yapp edges.

...now I just have to think of something to write in a diary/journal.

Miriam My aunt who passed away earlier this year had dozens of those journals.