Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin's Reviews > Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening

Monstress, Vol. 1 by Marjorie M. Liu

bookshelves: comics-graphic-manga, own

Okay I'm only going to put a few pictures because you can all scroll through the other reviewers and see more pictures. I don't like reviewing graphic novels because I never know exactly what to say.

This novel is about Maika Halfwolf and she has been trying to find her way for some time. She lost her mother and friends to a war. She lost one of her arms, but she has some kind of powers and she has a symbol on her chest that may or may not be the cause of this . . .

This novel is very dark but I still loved it. I mean you have all these people things eating other people things and chopping people things up.

There is this one dude that I think is hot in the novel. His name is Corvin D'Oro and I'm not going to show you a picture. Lol

So, Maika poses as a slave to get to this one person and then some of the kid/things she is with gets tortured and eaten etc. Maika goes postal and kills a bunch of people, supposedly it only happens when she gets really mad. Then she finds some crazy woman that knew her mother and she kills her and takes a mask that lady has <--- big mistake because, said mask, turns into some demon thing in her stump arm. Yeah, I know, it's cray but it happens. It's totally cool. Well, maybe not because it makes her eat people/things. And she has an ongoing conversation with it at times. Okay, so they argue because she wants it out of her.

Meanwhile, the novel goes back and forth from Maika's past to the present. We find out some things and get confused in other things.

There are also unicorn horses that you ride. I would love that.

There are talking cats with more than one tail! I liked Master Ren that was going around with Maika and the little fox girl named Kippa!

Anyway, I thought the story was great, morbid yes, but great! I am looking forward to these novels. And I love Marjorie Liu, I have read some of her books from back in the day!

MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monstress, Vol. 1.

August 23, 2016 – Started Reading
August 23, 2016 – Shelved
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: comics-graphic-manga
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: own
August 23, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Trish Wow, the artwork looks fantastic! I've been looking into this ever since Neil Gaiman recommended it but now I'm convinced!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin The art work is awesome, Trish. I'm ready it the next one to come out :-D

Trish It will be here tomorrow and now I have the "problem" of deciding whether to read this immediately or to wait until October (somehow it seems fitting for Halloween month)!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I only waited a couple of days. I couldn't help myself. :-). I'm going to dig out some other skery books for Oct. :-D

Trish :D
Yeah, I might need to do the same (not that I'd have trouble with that).

message 6: by *eKa* (new)

*eKa* I really love the pictures. So cute.
And great review, Melissa :D

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Trish wrote: ":D
Yeah, I might need to do the same (not that I'd have trouble with that)."

Now I want to read horror books. Thank you very much. lol :-D

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin eKa wrote: "I really love the pictures. So cute.
And great review, Melissa :D"

Thank you hon :-). It's really good but dark too!!

Trish Melissa wrote: "Trish wrote: ":D
Yeah, I might need to do the same (not that I'd have trouble with that)."

Now I want to read horror books. Thank you very much. lol :-D"

BWAHAHAHAHA! You're welcome. I've already started making a list of all books, movies and foods for halloween so it's good to have "spread the disease". *evil grin*

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Your funneh :-D I love Horror movie Oct!!! Halloween is my favorite day of the year :-). I have some scary books set out over there but I need to get some more set up!

Trish I go all crazy on Halloween. Well, more than usual that is. ;P
I decorate the house at the beginning of October and try to read dark-themed / scary books throughout the month. On Halloween itself I make "scary" food, watch horror movies or classics and read more horror stories. I LOVE October/Halloween.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Now your making me want October!! I try to make the month last but like everything else, it flies right by :-(

Brides the books I have I'm going to look for any kindle unlimited scaries :-)

And now I'm hungry for Halloween stuff and want to watch a scary movie. If I have time later I might watch one on my list on Amazon Prime or Netflix :-D

Trish I can't wait for at least this week to be over since summer has come back with a vengeance and it's scorchingly hot (I can't stand the extreme heat). :(

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I hate it too. Even though I don't go out any more. I know it's there and going to all the doctors the heat was killing. I'm a Winter girl and last year was miserable because we had the damn air conditioner on it January! FREAKING JANUARY! I could probably count on my fingers how many cold days we had :-(. The cold is actually more calming for my panic and I can step outside a little bit. I really hope we have Winter this year. *sob*

Trish I like all 4 seasons, but more than 30°C in summer is just too much.

message 16: by Gull (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gull You've sold me!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Trish wrote: "I like all 4 seasons, but more than 30°C in summer is just too much."

I just like Winter but I love the beauty of Fall too :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Awesome, Gully! It's a great novel :-)

message 19: by Eilonwy (new)

Eilonwy I love this series! It's grim, but you can't go wrong with nekomancers. I hope your great review convinces more people to read this. :-)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Awww, thank you hon :-) I loved it! I hope the next graphic novel doesn't take too long to come out!