Jayson's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2 by John Tiffany

(B+) 79% | Good
Notes: All the charm of the originals, but too steeped in revisiting previous storylines to be much more than good nostalgia.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2.

August 23, 2016 – Shelved
page 225
August 28, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 31, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016
October 20, 2016 – Shelved as: subject-boarding-school

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

MischaS_ I actually felt like they read the most popular fan fictions and meshed it all together. :D

The Bookish Reader I feel bad to be honest about all the hate this gets. Yes, it is NOT a ‘Harry Potter book’ but it WAS made for the stage. I agree with you on the storyline though, it feels like they ran out of ideas so they just took everything from the previous books

message 3: by Rajeswari (new) - added it

Rajeswari Roy It was great to visit the world of Harry Potter again....💕

Jayson MischaS_ wrote: "I actually felt like they read the most popular fan fictions and meshed it all together. :D"

That could possibly be the case. Professional writers writing and reading fan fiction isn't new, that's how we got Fifty Shades of Grey, after all. This certainly has a fan-service feel to it. I never read any Harry Potter fan fiction myself, so I wouldn't know what the common stories are in that space. "Meshed together" does seem an appropriate descriptor for it since it felt to me akin to a greatest hits medley or a television clip show.

Jayson The Bookish Reader wrote: "I feel bad to be honest about all the hate this gets. Yes, it is NOT a ‘Harry Potter book’ but it WAS made for the stage. I agree with you on the storyline though, it feels like they ran out of ide..."

I totally agree, this is a play and people are paying to see all the old, familiar things acted out in person, and time travel was a way to do that. JKR is very clear in her Pottermore books that time travel, as done here, isn't possible, and as such this story can't be considered canon. So technically speaking this is just authorized fan fiction, which is precisely how I regard it.

Jayson Rajeswari wrote: "It was great to visit the world of Harry Potter again....💕"

My feeling exactly :)

My_Strange_Reading All very true, but I did love the re-visit and would love to see it performed

Jayson My_Strange_Reading wrote: "All very true, but I did love the re-visit and would love to see it performed"

I think this works a lot better as a live experience than it does as a literary narrative. People are less critical when there isn't text to dwell on and scrutinize. Not every play needs to be Shakespeare, and even Shakespeare's more fun performed than read and contemplated. I'm sure many people critical of this would have a blast seeing it performed in person.

Roman Colombo Did you see it on stage?

Jayson Roman wrote: "Did you see it on stage?"

Aside from a few YouTube clips, I haven't. I hear it's great, though.