Hetal's Reviews > Saven Deception

Saven Deception by Siobhan Davis

Aug 23, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: dystopia, insta-love, tortured-paranormal-heart-throb, arcs

Received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Interstellar Red Queen what?
Sadie Owens is a red lower (star) class citizen. Her family life sucks and she works a loathsome factory job. She puts her name in to participate in “the experimento”, an underwater city where she hopes her dreams of being something more in live will come true. Her hopes come to fruition but never in a way she imagined possible.

The moment she gets there, she feels an instant electric connection with handsome blue eyed Logan. Who is he? Why does everyone keep telling her to stay away from him? Why does he act so hot and cold to her? (refer to image above, in case the answer to these questions wasn’t obvious.)
Eventually after all the hot and cold bullshit, this happens…

HAZZAH the plot FINALLY gets a move on to the real shit going down.
Okay, I’ll get serious now.

Davis introduces us to a wide cast of characters all with their own individual quirks. Of course there’s broody adorable Prince Cal Logan and Special snowflake Mare Sadie, but there’s also Jenna, Sadie’s best friend, Maven Dante the evil sadistic asshole, Hayden, Logan and Sadie’s fierce and loyal protector, sweet, open-minded Fern, protective light of guidance Farley Vin, and last but not least- mysterious hacker 007 Kilorn Jarod.

I loved how all the characters fought and had trust issues, but overall knew that they had each other’s back in their new home. The status of being silvers or reds bullions, coins, and stars didn’t matter to them.

Really, the plot was fabulous, the setting unique and world, decently built, albeit very Red Queeny based. So, the reason I downgraded my rating so heavily to 3 stars is because of two things. The lack of understanding I feel in why Logan and Sadie instantly fell in love. I’m no stranger to insta-love books, the YA world is (unfortunately) full of them. But Sadie insists, despite spending barely any time with him, that he completely understands her on a whole another level.

“That’s the thing with Logan- maybe it’s the Eterno connection, or shared understanding, or he’s observed me more closely than I realized these last few months, but whatever it is- he gets me. His soul speaks to mine on an innate and spiritual level”

…What? GIRL. Get yourself together. You guys have never had a proper conversation for Pete’s sake. All you do is get angry at each other and then make out, a lot. Sadie repeats that he understands her OVER AND OVER again, along with how his blue eyes always pull her in. NEWS FLASH!! IF I WANTED TWILIGHT LIKE WRITING I’D READ TWILIGHT. No, I take it back. Even Bella and Edward had more conversations than Sadie and Logan do. PLEASE TALK. HANG OUT. ANYTHING.

Now, the plot well makes up for the insta-love and less than brilliant Twilightly romance, but seeing as the book was 75% of this…I have to bring my rating down to 3 stars.
With that said, I legit just got my hands on the next book Saven Disclosure and will promptly start reading it on the bus home from work.

If you enjoyed this review, do me a favor and check it out on my blog here along with a lot of my other reviews!! They're all first in series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saven Deception.

August 23, 2016 – Started Reading
August 23, 2016 – Shelved
August 24, 2016 – Shelved as: dystopia
August 24, 2016 – Shelved as: insta-love
August 24, 2016 – Shelved as: tortured-paranormal-heart-throb
August 24, 2016 – Finished Reading
January 1, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Silver Great honest review, Hetal <3