Ariel's Reviews > Sandman Slim

Sandman Slim by Richard Kadrey

bookshelves: action-adventure, audible-account, audio-book, dark-morbid, paranormal-supernatural, read-2017, urban-fantasy, would-recommend
Read 2 times. Last read March 23, 2017 to April 17, 2017.

"Don't be modest, we've all heard of you. Sandman Slim-the monster who kills monsters."

In an effort to regain control over my TBR and my Audible account, I made an excellent executive decision to re-listen to Sandman Slim and I think I enjoyed myself so much more this second time around.

Richard Stark is the anti-hero of all anti-heroes, a self-centered jackass of a magician sent to hell by his magicians circle in exchange for all sorts of excellent power. Instead of dying, which is what everyone, including the denizens and generals of hell and hell's army expected, Stark was thrown into the Pits to fight the monsters of hell, Gladiator style. Eleven years of fighting demons and darkness can do a number on a person and it reflects in Stark when he's able to drag his smoking ass up and claw his way back to the the world.

This guy is a total asshole. He's unfriendly, rude, focused on his mission of revenge and vengeance and has no room in his life for anything but smokes and booze. But honestly, don't let that fool you, because Stark is definitely one of those truffles that has the hidden ooey, gooey center that tries to hide that fact. He's a fabulous jerkwad and I adore his grinchy little heart.

Richard Kadrey created a fabulous pulp-fiction noir seedy underbelly anti-hero goodness. It's over the top in the best ways, with some humor that had me literally giggling out loud. My husband, who only knows that this "Supernatural the TV show on roids", overheard me listening to this for about a minute long and laughed out loud as well. He had no idea what was happening or who was who, he just knew the goodness of raunchy humor and sailor talk.

I'll also be honest and admit I love a good "good vs. evil" battle. Angels and demons fighting for the control of humanity and the universe is always a good read because I feel each writer really does put their own individual spin on it, and I really enjoyed Kadrey's.

This world building and story telling is unique and interesting and keeps me entertained above all. The narrator, GOD BLESS YOU MACLEOD ANDREWS, your voice is cigarettes, gravel and whiskey all rolled into one. Literally one of the best narrators because he just FITS Stark so well! The narration for the other voices and cast of character is also top notch and very well done. I really enjoy the hesitancy that's projected into Candy and the over the top Texan accent for the non-Texan Wells. Plus, they do some great audio work in overlapping voices when demons are involved and it really adds to the atmosphere.

The only downside to audio as a medium is that I'm not quite sure on the correct spelling for quite a few of the characters, and I'd really rather not go hunting down for names. I will say that everyone you are introduced to is interesting and adds to the story. There are no side characters that are added for us additions sake, but everyone is important to the story.

I highly recommend Sandman Slim to anyone that is either in the mood for a laugh, or is looking to try something new in a genre they haven't read before. This is a great urban fantasy with pulp-noir overtones and a side of comedy and irreverent humor that will get you giggling against your will. I also highly recommend giving this a shot as audiobook as the narration is just fantastic and adds so well to the story.

To close my review, I leave you with one of the last and most beautiful words said by Stark that I can relate to so well.
"Fuck me, I'm a rock star and all I wanted was a burrito." Amen, Stark, amen.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sandman Slim.

August 23, 2016 – Shelved
August 23, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September, 2016 – Started Reading
September, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 26, 2016 –
page 0
""A soul dirtier than a hobos boxer shorts." is the best line I've ever read, hands down."
February 2, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
March 23, 2017 – Started Reading
April 7, 2017 –
page 0
"What's another word for a miracle but magic?"
April 11, 2017 –
50.0% "I wish there was an easier way to keep track of the hours of an audiobook and what percentage that equals to! Based off my hours, I should be halfway!"
April 14, 2017 –
65.0% ""Of all the iffy things I've ever done in my life, I've never had to ditch a body before. While it's giving me a migraine right now, I think that the fact that I'm not an expert on corpse disposal says a lot of good things about me and my life choices.""
April 17, 2017 – Shelved as: action-adventure
April 17, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
April 17, 2017 – Shelved as: urban-fantasy
April 17, 2017 – Shelved as: would-recommend
April 17, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Taryn (new)

Taryn "He's a fabulous jerkwad and I adore his grinchy little heart." Ha! Sounds like a great character!

Orient Great review, Ariel 😉

Ariel Orient wrote: "Great review, Ariel 😉"

Thank you ;) an right back atcha!