ambsreads's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

I almost smashed my phone reading this book. I quite literally threw it at a wall. I hate this book. I hate it so much. With every fibre of my being. I would have loved this five years ago, but I do not love it now.

SO. MUCH. HATE.

So here are my overall thoughts, taken while reading and trying to capture my quite literal thought process at this horrid book;
- boring characters
- insta love????
- S T E R E O T Y P E S
- literally so many stereotypes
- british love interest
- he's like 16 and smokes so cute
- not
- he quotes Lolita (wrongly)
- if that doesn't make you gag idk what will
- “I guess you nailed me, then.”
- that was said by Mara
- ?????
- BLONDE SLUT CHARACTER
- the stereotypes are literally everywhere
- not like other girls cliche
- “Because most girls I meet here ask me where I’m from when they hear my accent. And they’re usually thrilled to have the pleasure of my conversation.”
- I was partially excited to read this for the PTSD rep, however it was very poorly done and not executed in a way I felt captured what it's like to suffer from post traumatic stress disorder
- It honestly seems like it was just thrown in at random parts to justify Mara's actions
- “I heard that a senior from Walden tried to commit suicide after he—well. After he got what he came for, pun intended, and didn’t call again.”
“Sounds like a major overreaction on her part.”

- "sad kill your self music"
- i love a man who tells me what i want/do without knowing me <333333
- chapters with no completion
- Mara reads as a character who doesn't care about what happened to her friend (or boyfriend and frenemy)
- A N G S T
- slut shaming
- “a girl attired in what could only be described as “slutty Gryffindor” apparel. So wrong”
- lots of reference to crazy?? slightly ableist
- two weeks in, our main character states she is "his"
- dialogue is high key childish
- "you owe me so now i'm forcing you to hang out with me"
- if a guy called me his i'd punch him in the nose
- i am my own bitch
- is this why i'm single????
- the sibling relationships were weird???
- GIVES ADDRESS TO BOY DESPITE WANTING TO
- IS NOAH MEANT TO BE HOT????
- is it possible to be in pain from so many cliches because i am
- at this point i read a wiki overview because i skimmed too much
- but wtf is this ending
- honestly
- it's a piece of shit
- i would like to punch al the characters in this book thank you

Pros:
- there's diversity - Mara and her family are Indian
- the writing style was actually pretty good tbh
Cons:
- did you read my list of my thoughts?
- E V E R Y T H I N G

This book was so dumb. Honestly, the mocking of suicide in several parts was ridiculous (especially saying the girl "overreacted"). Overall, this book is 80% stereotypes and the other 20% is dumbass dialogue. I'm going to go cry now because I really wanted to like this book. I went in so excited and I am so disappointed.

I was honestly sick from the sheer dumbness of Mara and the unattractive mess that was Noah. I have so many more thoughts but I'll leave it here because I cant believe this book. I highly recommend it if you love Twilight, Hush, Hush and Fallen because it's basically a big mash up of those three!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

August 23, 2016 – Shelved
May 13, 2017 – Shelved as: romance
May 13, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 14, 2017 – Started Reading
May 14, 2017 –
7.0% "First impressions; I would have loved this when I was 13 and there's some serious Twilight vibes coming from this first day at school scene."
May 14, 2017 –
10.0% "“I thought I glimpsed a flash of silver in his mouth when he spoke. A tongue stud? Interesting. He didn’t seem the type”

Ahhh my favourite. Stereotypes.

Also, you know what's hard? Reading and recording at the same time rip my uni assignment"
May 14, 2017 –
15.0% "i hate the relationship between mara and noah so far oh my god they're so annoying"
May 14, 2017 –
22.0% ""You're not like other girls."

just shoot me please"
May 14, 2017 –
33.0% "In case you missed it, I hate this book"
May 14, 2017 –
50.0% "i'm taking notes for my review while reading and it's already so long omg so much rant to come"
May 15, 2017 – Shelved as: annoying-female-leads
May 15, 2017 – Shelved as: annoying-male-leads
May 15, 2017 – Shelved as: not-for-me
May 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

message 1: by Elise (new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) savage

message 2: by Logan (new)

Logan oh man I got rid of this book a couple weeks ago without reading it (it was a gift from a friend) and after reading your review I'm so glad I did

sreeja (hiatus) i love this review

emma YES ALL OF THE SALT AND SAVAGERY

this book was actually awful idek why I gave it two stars

message 5: by Cal (new) - rated it 3 stars

message 6: by Cal (new) - rated it 3 stars

message 7: by Cal (new) - rated it 3 stars

message 8: by Cal (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cal (Constant Raving Reviews) How many times can I say yes????

message 9: by Cal (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cal (Constant Raving Reviews) YES

Kaja (red panda) *:・゚✧ I knew my gut feeling, telling me never to start thos series, was right.

message 11: by Erika (new)

Erika Osborne *removes from TBR*

ambsreads Elise wrote: "savage"

I rolled my eyes so much reading this they were basically glued to the back of my skull it was hell

ambsreads Remi wrote: "oh man I got rid of this book a couple weeks ago without reading it (it was a gift from a friend) and after reading your review I'm so glad I did"

definitely a smart choice!

ambsreads sreeja wrote: "i love this review"

THANK YOU!

ambsreads Emma wrote: "YES ALL OF THE SALT AND SAVAGERY

this book was actually awful idek why I gave it two stars"

Oh dang, I was going to give it two stars because younger me would have loved it but the fact I actually threw my phone (never done that before) made me have to put it at one star!

ambsreads Cal~WARNING: ACOWAR SPOILERS AHEAD~ wrote: "Yes"

Cal~WARNING: ACOWAR SPOILERS AHEAD~ wrote: "Yes"

Cal~WARNING: ACOWAR SPOILERS AHEAD~ wrote: "Yes"

Cal~WARNING: ACOWAR SPOILERS AHEAD~ wrote: "How many times can I say yes????"

Cal~WARNING: ACOWAR SPOILERS AHEAD~ wrote: "YES"

omg you rated it three stars!! But scream the yes, it needs to be heard!!

ambsreads Kaja wrote: "I knew my gut feeling, telling me never to start thos series, was right."

I should have trusted my gut feeling but curiosity kiled the cat

ambsreads Erika wrote: "*removes from TBR*"

this is the most beautiful comment

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

oh wow, well there goes me wanting to read this LOLOL

ambsreads Solomon wrote: "oh wow, well there goes me wanting to read this LOLOL"

SAVE YOURSELF AND DON'T DO IT EVER

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) YES. YES. BLESS THIS REVIEW 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻 I couldn't stand this, especially Noah's possessive behavior and all the slut shaming. You describe it perfectly!

L A i N E Y Personally I don't equate this with Twilight or Hush Hush because Hodkin's writing was sooo much better than those two. I really liked this book but I'm also not blind so yep definitely still see your points & I still like this review! :))

ambsreads Kaylin wrote: "YES. YES. BLESS THIS REVIEW 🙌🏻🙌🏻🙌🏻 I couldn't stand this, especially Noah's possessive behavior and all the slut shaming. You describe it perfectly!"

thank you!!

ambsreads l a i n e y wrote: "Personally I don't equate this with Twilight or Hush Hush because Hodkin's writing was sooo much better than those two. I really liked this book but I'm also not blind so yep definitely still see y..."

I'm glad you enjoyed this book! I think the writing style was better too, I more so mentioned those books purely because if I had read this book at the same stage I was reading those I may have loved it! Thank you so much though! :))