Mac's Reviews > One Fearful Yellow Eye

One Fearful Yellow Eye by John D. MacDonald

U 50x66

did not like it

Occasionally, I join with Travis McGee on one of his adventures, eight times in the last ten years. I always look forward to Travis's easy banter, his well crafted descriptions of situations and scenery, and his ability to solve whatever mysteries lie before him. John D. MacDonald writes better than most in this genre so a Travis McGee novel is often light reading spun into a comfortable, recognizable formula that typically makes for good fun.

With my expectations high for so many reasons, One Fearful Yellow Eye disappointed on multiple levels. There are too many characters entwined in overly complicated and unnecessary backstories. Most of the novel takes place in Chicago, a long way from Travis's familiar home on The Busted Flush. Throw in a housekeeper with a laughable German accent, an accent that later disappears altogether. Then add some scenes that employ disgusting, sadistic torture. And finally, include Travis's rescue from certain death through an absurd, last-minute twist.

So One Fearful Yellow Eye offers an absence of the familiar Florida milieu, plenty of unpleasantness, plus an overdose of absurdity. Add to that MacDonald's usual demeaning attitude toward women, which here seems even more debased than usual. It all makes for an unenjoyable read. Yes, the mystery here is intriguing, but otherwise, One Fearful Yellow Eye fails on almost every dimension. I'm disappointed enough that I won't be joining Travis in the future; the series ends for me here.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Fearful Yellow Eye.

Started Reading
August 22, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 23, 2016 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Greg Mac, I agree with everything you say. This one was just too dark for me and not a fun read at all.

message 2: by Mac (new) - rated it 1 star

Mac Greg wrote: "Mac, I agree with everything you say. This one was just too dark for me and not a fun read at all."

My memory is shaky, but I recall The Deep Blue Good-By as one of the best, and it's the first in the series. You might give it a try if you haven't read it.

Greg Mac wrote: "Greg wrote: "Mac, I agree with everything you say. This one was just too dark for me and not a fun read at all."

Mac, yes, I've read it, I was hooked immediately and am reading them all in order. And yes, the final twist of "Yellow" in which the rescue occurs was out-of-nowhere laughable.

Mac, by the way, I gave the first one a 2-star rating as I didn't much care for McGee the first time around. But in that review, I do say I want to learn more about McGee, and now, he's probably one of the authors I'd most like to have a beer with, preferably on his Busted Flush.