Gazala's Reviews > The Translation of Love

The Translation of Love by Lynne Kutsukake

This beautiful book by @penguin randomhouse revolves around the impact of the War between Japan and America. This book is a fictional take on it. With an interesting plot and not overdue expectations I started this book, only to be pleasantly surprised. The book has many layers to it. While primarily it zeroes in on a few segments and shows how war impacted them , it captures the raise in hope , and also in Ill practises. Not to forget , it takes us through some of the letters ( or rather a fictional take on them) that were written to the highest authority by desperate and lost Japanese people....all these different segments are beautifully woven by the search for a missing girl. The book shows the reader the lives of the ones who have lost everything and who now struggle to make ends meet . It shows the plight of children ,and poorer families who were the most severely hit. It touches upon the lives of Repat Japanese and American Japanese who lose a home and also an identity they always reckoned with.It shows how a teacher , a man who was equipped with education also went a long way to make a living in the country that was completely wrecked by the war. It elaborates how the women , took on various roles and who went to severe extremes to better their lives fall prey for false promises. This book is like a necklace made of beautiful shells picked from the shore . Each shell is different, and yet they are all held together to make the most gorgeous adornment. In the very same manner , all these different almost unrelated people are unified by destruction and it's ill effects and brought together via a maze of events that are born due to a missing girl , who's sister sets on a journey to find her. While this is the mere glimpse of what the book has in store for its reader .The events are raw , and portray how the war shook the country right through its core.
It barely grazes the surface of how a completely new government and governing style throws the people into a mayhem of rights and responsibilities , some willingly accepted and some levied upon them forcefully... Though it is a beautiful weave of various layers , it isn't confusing, on the contrary it is so well spaced out that you can totally watch the book unfurl in your mind like a movie. Talking about Japanese culture and how different it is to the culture practised by the GIs from America,it replays the struggles and trails of the innocent sufferers in a war torn land. It seems to speak not just about Japan itself , but also about how any war torn country is impacted. It shows how the people are compelled to live on ,though they have lost both loved ones and their materialistic belongs , it shows how the culture forcefully starts imitating the one of the Occupational forces simply to simplify things... a really enjoyable but realistically detailed book! :) each character is given enough importance to give one a peek into their life. The highlight for me however was the end , and how it was not what I expected but quite the opposite,reminding us that no matter how hard we fall , we raise, we always do :) :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Translation of Love.

August 23, 2016 – Started Reading