Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)'s Reviews > As I Descended

As I Descended by Robin Talley

bookshelves: 2016-releases, arc, young-adult

This book totally blew my mind. Since it is based off of Macbeth, I really should have seen everything coming, but Robin Talley still managed to surprise me. There is so much diversity in As I Descended, as well, and a main character who is in between a hero and a villain. This is definitely a must-read!

As I Descended is a Macbeth retelling, which I don't believe I've read before. Typically, when Shakespeare retellings are written, the story is based on Romeo and Juliet. I could definitely see the similarities between Macbeth and As I Descended, which was really satisfying. Although I am not much of a paranormal fan, I found myself enjoying this story. Basically, there are these spirits that the main character can sense, and because of them, some horrible things occur. It's hard to describe the plot without spoiling, but believe me, this is not a book to be missed.

There is so much diversity in As I Descended! There are two LGBT couples, Mexican characters, and a character with a disability. I really enjoyed how realistic the romance is between Maria and Lily. Not every couple is comfortable with coming out right away, and Maria and Lily decide to wait. I loved the way their relationship is portrayed and appreciated how believable it is.

Maria is not the most likeable of characters, yet I still enjoyed her character, if that makes sense. She is kind of a villain, but doesn't really intend to be one. At the beginning of the book, Maria is focused and determined to be the best at everything, and she'll do whatever it takes. She ends up going too far, and her personality totally changes. Maria becomes frightening, but I couldn't stop reading. She is such a complex character that isn't quite a villain, but not a hero either.

As I Descended is a Shakespeare-inspired story with so much diversity. The main character is interesting as she doesn't have the best personality, but is still likeable. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As I Descended.

August 22, 2016 – Shelved
August 22, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 22, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-releases
August 22, 2016 – Shelved as: arc
August 29, 2016 – Started Reading
August 31, 2016 – Finished Reading
January 8, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 8, 2017 – Shelved as: 2016-releases

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Carla (new)

Carla I am very curious to see what you have to say about this book!! :)

Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover) Carla wrote: "I am very curious to see what you have to say about this book!! :)"

It has such an interesting concept! My review will be up next week! ;)

message 3: by Carla (new)

Carla Olivia wrote: "Carla wrote: "I am very curious to see what you have to say about this book!! :)"

It has such an interesting concept! My review will be up next week! ;)"

Can't wait!