Clare O'Beara's Reviews > Claus: Legend of the Fat Man

Claus by Tony Bertauski

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, europe-historical

This book is set at the North Pole, as three crew aboard an early Polar expedition ship get off at Greenland and walk. They encounter a strange race adapted to life in ice caves, with their own technology, something like a Jules Verne story. However the antagonist is one Jack Frost who seeks to bring all the polar realm under his control and he has evil plans for the warmbloods.

I am fine with the concept that this might be how Nicholas and family got to the Pole and started legends. I just found the continuous forcing of names like Merry, Nog, Claus, Rudy, Dasher, Dancer and the rest of the GM reindeer, into the tale overly silly and it stopped me enjoying what might have been a great Verne-ish read. But some folks will be happy to read it for the laughs and be fine with the contemporary references. Some of the adaptations and new tech ideas are great. Hard to know if it's a fantasy or SF but I'm calling it fantasy. I've read SF by this author which was rather darker and very good indeed.

The author made this available as a free download. This is an unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claus.

August 22, 2016 – Shelved