Lauren's Reviews > King Rat

Jun 04, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011

Sorry, China.

First things first: this was the first book that I read on my Kindle. I have an ongoing e-mail discussion with Amazon about the mistakes in the book (and now I have to quote the page numbers of the mistakes I've found to them; I am certainly not that thrilled about doing unpaid QA work), one of which was a MIÉVILLE in the middle of a sentence. (If it was intended as some sort of authorial subliminal message, it was poorly done.)

So those mistakes were distracting, and make me more wary of reading things on the Kindle, because the quality control doesn't seem to be in place yet. Of course there are sometimes errors in printed books, but not usually with print breaks and just general weird things inserted into the text.

Maybe I should be a little more forgiving. If I had read this before Embassytown or The City & The City, maybe I would be. Regardless of the fact that it's his first book, it just isn't very good. Saul isn't particularly sympathetic, and neither is anyone else. I'm not particularly interested in drum and bass, so when the story focused on that, I wasn't interested. There's also the open ending, though I am glad that Miéville hasn't decided to go back to King Rat, because this well was pretty shallow at the start.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Rat.