Katy's Reviews > Snow Blind

Snow Blind by P.J. Tracy

Jun 03, 2011

Recommended for: fans of genres, series
Read 2 times. Last read December 22, 2012 to December 23, 2012.

Please note: Sections of my new review will be under spoiler tags. There is just no way to adequately discuss this book without laying down a trail of clues that will ultimately spoil a bit of the mystery in the story. After the “Disclosure” section I’ll paste my original review from 2006, and if you prefer to avoid spoilers, then stop there, because even with the spoiler tags there might be sections that will give you clues. I do not plan to post this review anywhere else, to avoid spoiling this story for anyone, so my Goodreads peeps are the only ones reading my full review.

Book Info: Genre: Mystery/Suspense/Thriller
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: fans of series, fans of genre
Trigger Warnings: Violence (view spoiler)

Disclosure: I purchased this book in first hardcover and then e-book format for myself. All opinions are my own.

My Original Review, written Sept. 10, 2006: I started this series pretty much by accident after receiving Monkeewrench in a box of books I was given by a co-worker; however, I haven't looked back since reading that first book. Gino and Leo—the two Minneapolis detectives around whom the series revolves—and the Monkeewrench crew—the computer programmers who are the secondary cast—are wonderfully crafted and lovingly developed.

Snow Blind is beautifully done and the story is developed in such a way as to leave you guessing until well into the book as to what has actually happened. Once you figure it out, you are left just as conflicted as everyone else. Is this particular story completely resolved? Not really—but due to the nature of the set up, it can't be; not and have true justice be done. I can't give any more details than that without ruining it for you, but you will understand once you have read it—believe me, you will not be disappointed.

My Thoughts (new review written Dec. 2012): This is the fourth book in the series, following Dead Run (review here). I originally read and reviewed this book on Amazon September 10, 2006, and that original review is above so you can see it. This is the last of the books I have already read in this series—the next two ( Shoot to Thrill and Off the Grid ) will be new to me. I remember this one fairly well, though—it is another of the books in this series that tackles a seriously inflammatory issue ((view spoiler)), and as such I know it will not be for everyone, but I absolutely loved that it made me question all my assumptions about right and wrong, good and evil, (view spoiler).

A Twin Cities’ institution is mentioned in this book—Kramarczuk’s. It’s a Polish butcher shop, and a person can buy the most amazing sausages there. If you enjoy some high-quality sausages and are in the Twin Cities, then you have to check the place out.

Ultimately this story absolutely twisted me in knots. I could not help but empathize with the murderers in this book—I had to ask myself: what would I do (view spoiler)? I think maybe it’s because of my own background, but I really do think I actually would, and what does that ultimately say about me? So, I really liked this book mostly because it raised these sorts of questions, and made you really think about them. Highly recommended. Next up: Shoot to Thrill , which I have not yet read.

Synopsis: Nothing's bleaker than Minneapolis during the winter, the season that, to some longtime residents, lasts eleven months of the year. So what better way to bring a little cheer to the good people of the city than by sponsoring an old-fashioned snowman-building contest? In a matter of hours, a local park is filled with the innocent laughter of children and their frosty creations. But things take an awful turn when the dead bodies of Minneapolis police officers are discovered inside two of the snowmen—sending the MPD and Detectives Magozzi and Rolseth on high alert. The next day, Iris Rikker, the newly minted sheriff of rural Dundas County, comes across another dead cop (Please note: this is incorrect; he was not a cop, but a parole officer). Fearing that Rikker's inexperience will hamper the investigation, Magozzi and Rolseth head north-in a blizzard-to hunt for clues. As Grace MacBride and her crack computer jocks at Monkeewrench comb cyber-murder websites for connections, a terrifying link emerges, connecting the dead cops, Magozzi and Rolseth, and Monkeewrench—a link that must be broken, before it's too late.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Blind.

Finished Reading
June 3, 2011 – Shelved
December 22, 2012 – Started Reading
December 22, 2012 –
30.0% "If you live in the Twin Cities or are visiting and love sausages, etc., then you need to check out a place mentioned in here, Kramarczuk's. Great stuff."
December 22, 2012 –
54.0% "Another thing to do if you ever visit the Twin Cities - go to St. Paul and drive down Summit Ave. It's amazing."
December 23, 2012 –
77.0% "I just slept for a really, REALLY long time. I guess I was really, REALLY tired..."
December 23, 2012 – Finished Reading