Nicole Field's Reviews > The Cobbler's Soleless Son

The Cobbler's Soleless Son by Meredith Katz

This was my first book by Meredith Katz, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The world was separate enough to our own that it took me a couple of tries reading the first pages just to make sure I was getting it. Renart is the Cobbler's son and the main character of the book. He seems to be a bit of a thrill seeker, often sleeping with the incubi and succubi that share the world with him and other humans. Apparently there is no rush like it.

But then he sets his sights on the demon Prince Hrahez and suddenly nothing else is good enough. Knowing what I know now, re-reading this book again is going to be even more enjoyable. Renart then goes through the effort of making sure he has an introduction to Prince Hrahez.

This short story is everything you want from an original fairy tale. It honestly isn't like any of the already existing fairy tales out there except for the formula it follows. The presence of demons makes this story original and memorable.

Other than it being too quick to finish and the very modern-style dialogue at times that felt completely at odds with the rest of the world building, I thought this was a fantastic piece of writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cobbler's Soleless Son.

August 21, 2016 – Started Reading
August 21, 2016 – Shelved
August 21, 2016 –
37.0% ""He was no magician, but every creator had some essence of magic around them, since magic itself was the ability to transform a concept into a reality.""
August 22, 2016 – Finished Reading