Sharon's Reviews > Thirst

Thirst by Katherine Prairie

F 50x66

bookshelves: netgalley, mystery-thriller

Stonedrift Press Ltd. and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Thirst, in exchange for an honest review.

When a night on the mountain turns dangerous, Alex Graham must keep her mind focused and her wits sharp in order to survive. As a geologist, she is hired by clients to retrieve valuable gold or silver, outside or inside the restricted perimeter near the Columbia River dams. Providing hydroelectric power and certain natural resources to two countries, the river is of the utmost importance. When one of the dams was bombed, a joint security effort from the United States and Canadian forces was crucial. After Alex is asked for help regarding a potentially dangerous health scare, an unexpected connection to an old crime threatens both her safety and that of the whole town.

Thirst is a fictional story based in certain facts - namely, the Columbia River treaty between the United States and Canada is real and the problems outlined in this book could potentially happen. I liked Alex Graham as a main character, but I wished that the author had gone into more of her background. Her expertise as a geologist are very much in need in this book, but the author really just touches the surface of why Alex has chosen such a dangerous profession. The pacing was good and the premise was thought provoking. The ending of Thirst hinted at a sequel and I would be interested in seeing where author Katherine Prairie takes her characters into the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirst.

August 21, 2016 – Started Reading