Jason Koivu's Reviews > Winnie-the-Pooh

Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne

Jun 03, 2011

bookshelves: fiction
Recommended to Jason by: yo momma...no wait, i think it was my momma
Recommended for: childrens book lovers and gun nuts
Read in June, 2011

Pooh gets shot for godsake! I don't remember that in the version that was read to me as a child! What I recall were the sweet, pastoral tales of human-like animals living semi-silly existences in their quaint village-esque neighborhood in the woods. I liked Pooh, his muddled world view and convoluted logic, and Piglet's utter meekness had its charm, however Tigger was mah boy! He was my favorite character in the book and coincidentally my favorite ornament on my family's christmas tree. Reading Winnie-the-Pooh again as a grown-up I've even developed an appreciation for Owl and Kanga (I will never like Eeyore and anyone that does needs to get those issues cleared up...no, stop typing a reply comment to this, just go right now to a specialist and we'll talk again in a few months). I also appreciated the subtle, adult humor that went right over my head as a youth. However, as much as I may have missed as a kid just from mere misunderstanding, I would not have missed the important message of friendship and kindness...and I definitely would not have missed or misunderstood Pooh getting shot! What the frick?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winnie-the-Pooh.

Tanja I do not remember that! Are you sure it wasn't with a pretend gun, possibly cork on a string type set up?

Jason Koivu Tanja wrote: "I do not remember that! Are you sure it wasn't with a pretend gun, possibly cork on a string type set up?"

I'm pretty sure it was Christopher Robin's preferred Winchester Lever-Action Repeater.

message 3: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda I adored A.A Milne's winnie-the-pooh as a child, as it is such a beautiful creation! x

Tanja I'm pretty sure it was Christopher Robin's preferred Winchester Lever-Actio..."

HA! You do realise that now I have to reread this book? Some sort of weird murder/suicide thing going on... That all children read and then collectively block from they're memories? Maybe you won't remember this tomorrow! *gasp*

message 5: by B0nnie (new) - added it

B0nnie The Ernest Shepard illustrations are so charming - how I hate the Disney drawings. Kanga is badass, but I love piglet. Tigger isn't in this one... yay

Jason Koivu Tanja wrote: "I'm pretty sure it was Christopher Robin's preferred Winchester Lever-Actio..."

Well, I actually reread this a few months back and just now fixed up my review. So what I'm saying Tanja is, this shit is fo' reals yo! Christopher Robin popped a cap in Poo's ass. Now I'm not saying it wasn't something closer to a cap gun than say a glock, of that I can't be sure. All I know is that a volatile projectile struck the bear, I believe in or around his buttocks region. Fact.

Jason Koivu B0nnie wrote: "The Ernest Shepard illustrations are so charming - how I hate the Disney drawings. Kanga is badass, but I love piglet. Tigger isn't in this one... yay"

I hate Disney. There, it needed to be said. However, having said it, Disney's animation is a measuring stick, of some worth, which other relatively current animation of the past half century and more has been judged. So as much as I dislike Disney, I can't deny its place in the world of animation and illustration. All this preamble is in place really just so I can say, "I kinda liked the Disney version of Pooh when I was a kid!" and still feel good about myself.

Nataliya Maybe I should re-read this book. I read it as a kid and did not care much for it (definitely did not appreciate the subtle humor you mention), and I definitely have no memories of Pooh getting shot!

Jason Koivu Nataliya wrote: "Maybe I should re-read this book. I read it as a kid and did not care much for it (definitely did not appreciate the subtle humor you mention), and I definitely have no memories of Pooh getting shot!"

Yes you should, Nataliya! Tidbits like Piglet's ancestral pride, as seen in his "Trespassers W--" sign, is funny stuff that went right over my head as a kid.

Tanja OMG! Well there goes that theory! Does Pooh die? or get horribly maimed? Is it an accident or can we prove intent? Spoilers galore! ;)

Bonnie E. LOL.
Read Winnie the Pooh as a kid, and then read it to each of my three children, and LIKED it more as an adult than as a child. Wonder if my sons and daughter will feel the same way if/ when they read it again.

Jason Koivu Tanja wrote: "OMG! Well there goes that theory! Does Pooh die? or get horribly maimed? Is it an accident or can we prove intent? Spoilers galore! ;)"

I can't speak about the health of the victim. However, I can tell you that Mr. Robin's did arrive at the scene with a fully load firearm. Intent to harm the victim has been denied and the motive is yet to be determined, however the investigation is still underway. No more questions, sorry, no more questions. *throws up hands palms out, walks away from mic*

Tanja Jason wrote: "Tanja wrote: "OMG! Well there goes that theory! Does Pooh die? or get horribly maimed? Is it an accident or can we prove intent? Spoilers galore! ;)"

I can't speak about the health of the victim. ..."

Well I guess I'll just have to lean on my hidden source for info then. Expect details in the headlines tomorrow!

Jennifer I am a huge Winnie the Pooh fan. I think I have watched every single episode and movie ever made LOL. However, for some strange reason I have never read any of the books. About to start my very first one at the age of 39 :) Who doesn't love Pooh bear but Tigger is absolutely tiggerific .

Jason Koivu Jennifer wrote: "I am a huge Winnie the Pooh fan. I think I have watched every single episode and movie ever made LOL. However, for some strange reason I have never read any of the books. About to start my very ..."

Tigger's the shit! Loved that cracked-out dude!

Jennifer Definitely. He's my favorite. :) Jason, I am impressed with how many books you have read. I read on one of your posts how you wish you had read more as a child. I feel the same way. Now it seems I am "catching up" and trying to stay with the current reads too. Not enough hours in the day.

Jason Koivu Jennifer wrote: "Definitely. He's my favorite. :) Jason, I am impressed with how many books you have read. I read on one of your posts how you wish you had read more as a child. I feel the same way. Now it ..."

I was a terrible student and allowed too much tv time as a teen. I've missed out on many a good reading hour. But I'm making up for it now. I was lucky to work at a job for a number of years in which approximately half of the day I was able to spend listening to audiobooks while working. Now I make sure to do the same whenever I'm doing yard work, exercising, or long drives, basically any time-consuming, mindless labor. I'm so used to it now that it would seem like utterly wasted time if I wasn't simultaneously listening to a good read. Other than that, I make sure to have something going on my Kindle as well as a good old fashioned, paper book on the nightstand by the bed. Books, it's what's for dinner!

Jennifer Everything you just wrote......"DITTO" I wish I could somehow download books directly to my brain. Don't get me wrong, I love to read but there are just too many that I still need to catch up on LOL. Have a great night. Nice chatting with you.