Tara Lynn Tanner's Reviews > Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy

Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy by Mary  Stewart

Jun 03, 2011

It took me some time to get through this trilogy (only a little because I kept looking for my red pen to mark mistakes in this edition), but mostly because it was very episodic and covered such a long time period following Merlin from when he was a young boy until he died. I loved the story- appreciated the historical aspects- and was thrilled by the twists and turns of the plot.

Favorite passage:
It may perhaps seem strange that a prophet who had seen Arthur's crowning so plain and clear and ringed with light should take such pains to guard him from his enemies. But those who have had to do with the gods know that when those gods make promises they hide them in light, and a smile on a god's lips is not always a sign that you may take his favour for granted. Men have a duty to make sure. The gods like the taste of salt; the sweat of human effort is the savour of their sacrifices.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy.

08/25/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Laurie (new)

Laurie ohhh, i absolutely loved these in high school, can't wait to hear what you think. I'm sure i should read them again, since it was over 20 years ago (yikes) :)

Tara Lynn Tanner Yeah, I liked them a lot! I will have to look up some more Mary Stewart!

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie The rest of her books are fabulous mysteries set in the 50s and 60s. There is always a wonderful heroine who is a strong young women in her 20s with a good head on her shoulders. Her mysteries are like watching a good Hitchcock film like to "catch a theif". Mystery, who-done-it, and a little love story to keep you guessing who the bad guy is. I can't decide which is my favorite :)