Jeanette's Reviews > I Will Send Rain

I Will Send Rain by Rae Meadows

it was ok

Morose, maudlin, misery. YA level writing. Chick lit. supreme. I'm shocked at the ratings here.

Fred seemed real. All the others were soap opera cut outs, not Oakies. This author didn't know her place or her culture for this place.

The ending!

Fred seemed defined, and he was the ultimate winner in this one. The women!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Will Send Rain.

August 18, 2016 – Started Reading
August 20, 2016 – Shelved
August 20, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 21, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov I am interested in accurate portrayals of life in the Dust Bowl. Fiction (such as Grapes of Wrath) or non-fiction (such as The Worst Hard Time). If you come across a good one, let me know.

Jeanette Both you mention are excellent. I'll find us another and let you know. I have interest, as well. In fact, I'm going to get a Reference Librarian of skill to work on this for me.

message 3: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie Oh dear! This has been getting rave reviews. Good to hear another perspective, Jeanette.

Jeanette I almost gave it one star. The writing is straight forward enough to get it the 2nd. Barely.

message 5: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Succinct yet powerful and honest review, Jeanette. Good to see another take on this book that's getting so much hype. I'll skip--YA-level writing and chick lit supreme both send me running...!

message 6: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov HBalikov wrote: "I am interested in accurate portrayals of life in the Dust Bowl. Fiction (such as Grapes of Wrath) or non-fiction (such as The Worst Hard Time). If you come across a good one, let me know."

Thanks so much, Jeanette

Jeanette Findings here are interesting, HBalikov. It's ironic, IMHO. So many of them are graphic or YA. I'll send you a list in email. Seems so ironic to me, that few, so very few fiction authors have even attempted this decade length reality within the perimeters it deserves.

message 8: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov Yes, that has been part of my frustration. Thanks again for making this effort.

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Thank you for an honest review. I trust you. I have started and stopped or slogged through some of the highly recommended books of summer and have not been impressed. I will walk on by on this one as well.

I agree with a previous comment, The Worst Hard Time is excellent.

message 10: by Jeanette (last edited Aug 22, 2016 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeanette Oh Sarah, I've just hit three in a row this summer exactly as you describe. HIGHLY regarded! And they are closer to the soap opera "Dallas" of a by-gone age than they are to the trailer, flyleaf or advertising material. Nothing wrong with romance, coming of age or whatever the subject matter, if that's what you want to read in an emotive women's view relationship roller coaster venue. But call it what it is and not market it otherwise.

I sent a list to HBalikov. Very limited material available on the Dust Bowl decade that is not graphic or YA. It lasted over a decade, not just a couple of years. Many areas STILL have imploded populations and productions in comparison to before.

I've got three titles I'm going to try on this subject. I'll review them if they warrant it. I don't expect non-fiction levels, but I do expect the fiction material to hold a balance to the historic reality.

Lastly, thank you for letting me know this, Sarah. I have become disheartened a couple of times in the last year by posters changing and caving to popular opinions. Honesty lost. Just because something is popular does not connote that it is correct or proportionally in tone or aspect to all the context of the real events. Historical fiction needs to be held to this standard, at least. The best historical fiction certainly does that and more.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Jeanette wrote: "Oh Sarah, I've just hit three in a row this summer exactly as you describe. HIGHLY regarded! And they are closer to the soap opera "Dallas" of a by-gone age than they are to the trailer, flyleaf or..."

I am getting pickier about vetting reads from a handful of Goodreads friends. While there are times l enjoy light books, I don't need dumbed down books, what I call history light.

I'll keep an eye out for your next reads on the dust bowl. What is scary, there are some dust storms starting in the same areas. As a country, we did not learn our lesson the first time around.

Jeanette History light is one thing. But we are getting to History Zero level at this point. I can't abide it. And she gives this particular one a "happy" ending on top of it when they are staying in the same place! HUH!

I know we can't all like the same type of books, but the genre are getting murkier and murkier. Vetting is the perfect word, and I'll have to vet far more than I have. Especially when an era or event category is given in fiction moderns.

No, we don't learn our lesson in the USA- and not just upon agriculture or weather necessary for food production and the fall outs from lack of rotation or using short cuts. The entire middle of the country is being ignored and has been for half my lifetime. As long as the coasts have a full grocery store, it probably will not change.

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Jeanette wrote: "History light is one thing. But we are getting to History Zero level at this point. I can't abide it. And she gives this particular one a "happy" ending on top of it when they are staying in the sa..."

I think we will soon be forced to look at agricultural practices and weather soon. We should be looking now, but we are not.

message 14: by HBalikov (new)

HBalikov Jeanette wrote: "History light is one thing. But we are getting to History Zero level at this point. I can't abide it. And she gives this particular one a "happy" ending on top of it when they are staying in the sa..."

Worster would agree with you. Did you see the reissue of this book? Dust Bowl: The Southern Plains in the 1930s
by Donald Worster

Brina Agreed with you, Jeanette. I participated in a buddy read and was the only one who didn't rate this 4-5 stars. The others kept hyping the prose and while it was good, I was expecting a deeper look at the history behind the dust bowl.

Jeanette Brina, the criteria for historical fiction is changing- the bar is lower every year. And has been substandard for at least the last 10 years. It's becoming more and more and more interpreted history, revisionist, and cutting to "fit" either an empathy curve for sales, or a "whole piece" agenda in the politico.

We just are NOT seeing the Hilary Mantel type layers of Cromwell's guts . The perceptions that border context of a reality for little more than the broadest recalling of events? Barely that. So when I come across such a serious and unused for popular fiction period such as this dust bowl '30's- I want there to be some core sense of the true fall-outs, and I myself prefer it to be not drenched in sentimentality.

Brenda Terrible book! I 100% agree...the writing was flimsy and the goofy romance was extremely contrived it was all very flat!

Hayes You nailed it. Excellent review!

message 19: by cameron (new) - added it

cameron The Worst Hard Time was so great. No need for fiction here. Thanks for this review. I was considering getting this for my teenage grandchildren but will give them the real thing instead.