Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~*'s Reviews > Lothaire

Lothaire by Kresley Cole

Jun 03, 2011

bookshelves: author-kresley-cole, romance-paranormal, pre-ordered, owned-read, 2012-releases
Read from January 28 to 31, 2012

5 Stars - Also reviewed at: Lady Jayne's Reading Den

Lothaire met MY “Endgame” of a satisfying read quite diabolically splendidly!

Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark (IAD) series is one of my favourite Paranormal Romance series and I always know I’m in for a wild and entertaining ride when I read one of her books. Lothaire was an ATOMIC BLAST of a ride - and I mean that in all kiiiinds of ways! LOL

When it was mentioned that Lothaire “The Enemy of Old” would have a book, I thought, “What an unlikely “hero”! An enemy of our beloved Forbearer Vampires, Valkyrie, Lykae and House of Witches is to have his own HEA??” But, WOW, what an engaging and sizzling tale it was!

Kresley Cole started truly intriguing me with Lothaire’s character in Dreams of a Dark Warrior , and made me very excited to read his book. Yes, he’s done some dastardly deeds but there were moments of what appeared to be compassion in him, especially in his dealings with Thaddeus, even though Lothaire justified it as just being part of him needing to achieve his “Endgame”.

I just love Thad! He’s so sweet, and his dimples just make me melt…Just, Awww!! I want to cuddle him close! I really hope Thad doesn’t lose his idealism and optimism!

I was shocked to see that Lothaire’s book wouldn’t get one of the long (and sometimes difficult to remember ^_^) IAD titles but would simply be titled “Lothaire” . I then realised, for an arrogant and self-absorbed character, such as he, there could be no better title!

Within the first chapter of Lothaire , Kresley Cole had me deeply saddened and shedding tears for young Lothaire. I finally understood why he was the way he was and what his “Endgame” was, and why he was obsessed with it. Seeing his tragic past and his vulnerable side also enabled me to forgive him for some of his cruel acts, but he still did frustrate me, at points – remaining true to character. I needed to see some true remorse from him …and there was, but it was in is his very Lothaire-way. I would have liked to have seen him grovel more, though I accept that would not have been be true to his character.

Arrogant, going insane, intelligent, and diabolical, Lothaire never contemplated that his Bride would be a mere mortal. He believed that his Bride was Saroya, the goddess of death who possessed Elizabeth “Ellie” Peirce. When “Lizvetta”, as Lothaire calls her, awakens his burning desires, he still refuses to accept that a weak mortal could be his Bride.

I loved Ellie, the young mountain girl from Appalachia. She is sweet, smart, brave, and she challenges, intrigues and arouses Lothaire like no other. I really loved how Ellie held her own with Lothaire and made him question his Endgame. Even with all the shite Ellie has gone through in her short life, I loved how she looked for happiness where she could. She wasn’t bitter and twisted, like Lothaire, and that made her just what he needed.

Lothaire and Ellie were SCORCHINGLY HOT together!

description

Even though the sexy Paul Marron is the cover image for the US cover of Lothaire, I couldn’t shake the image I developed of Lothaire as I read Dreams of a Dark Warrior , with his longish pale blonde hair and his arrogant, diabolical handsomeness as this…

description

Whether you picture Lothaire as looking like Eric Northman, Paul Marron, or someone else, one thing is for certain, even as Lothaire makes you growl at him (and also laugh) because of his arrogant and domineering ways, he will win you over – though maybe not in the puppy dog loyalty of Thad…or maybe he will! LOL

There was only a wee bit of development in the series story arc and I would have liked a bit more. But, then, I found out on Kresley Cole’s Facebook page, that there will be a new spin-off series called the Realm of Blood and Mist with the first book being titled Shadow Claim - release date 21 August 2012. The series is about the Dacians, introduced in this book. So, I now appreciate the sacrifice of the overall IAD story arc for introduction to these new characters. I’m excited for the new series!!

It was very interesting to find out more about Nix’s and Lothaire’s history together. Poor Nix “The Ever Knowing” - she’s losing it more and more, trying to keep up with all the possible futures as the Accession draws near. I’d love to see Nix’s HEA, for her to have a male who could be a stabilizing and comforting force for her, but I think I read somewhere that hers may be the last book in the series. While I really want to read her story, I’m not ready for this series to end.

So…who do you think is up next?

Cara the Fair (twin sister to Furie) and the human of noble line who is a thrill seeker and extreme sports enthusiast?

I think it may be King Kristoff of the Forbearers and Furie, who will unlease her wrath on all vampires for what Lothaire did to her, and in doing so will, of course, lead to a HEA. Haha! We shall see…

Looking forward to the next IAD installment!!!

Below is a record of my excitement/frustration leading up to this book...LOL
....

To be Released 10 January 2012 - SQUEE!!!
....
6 January 2012 - I just went to order it and the Hardcover is just way too much for me right now. Why, Kresley Cole?? WHY??? I'm just going to wait for the paperback to come out in June 2012. *sighs* :-(
....

11 January 2012 - *GASP!* I just got a notification from The Book Depository that my pre-order of the UK version is ready to be shipped. Whaaattt??? I forgot I pre-ordered it! I didn't have it in my pre-order shelf here at GRs and I couldn't see the email notification from the BD of the pre-order, so I thought I hadn't. Oh, man...I'm so excited to get it now! *SQUEEEEE!!!* Guess something good came out of a lapse in memory. It's like getting an unexpected Christmas present! LOL
....

DISCLAIMER: I do not hold the copyright to any of the images used in this review. They are posted to add visuals to the review and for fun. If any of these images are yours and you would like me to remove them, please let me know, and I will do so as soon as possible. If I can identify the copyright, I will do so.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lothaire.

01/29/2012 page 186
38.75% "As he stared transfixed, she lowered herself atop his shaft, wrenching a groan from him and a cry from her. “Damn, vampire, you came loaded for bear!”

“What does thatmean?”

“Hunters in bear country have to go out armed to the teeth, even if they’re hunting small game. So what I’m saying is you’re hung, and very, very hard.”

“I’m superlative in every way.”

“Uh-huh.”

LOL" 16 comments
01/29/2012 page 291
60.62% "Oh, Thad, you are such a sweetie! And your dimples! Aww... On a different note, I seem to have lost the cover to this UK edition. Hmm...Guess the stripping on "info" has begun..." 3 comments
02/01/2012
100.0% 2 comments

Mimi Smith Ouch! That sucks... I am very curious about this story, though I still regret the lost opportunity of Nix and Lothaire *sigh*...

message 2: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn I can not wait for this book!

message 3: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jan 06, 2012 03:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* *sniffles* I really want to read this too but the Hardback on The Book Depository is AUD$23.59 to pre-order and the paperback is only AUD$5.65, which I've now pre-ordered to match my other paperbacks.

I'm bummed that the IAD series has gone hardback. I hate it when they do that!

And even the Kindle is USD$12.48! :-(

message 4: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Jan 06, 2012 03:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Mimi wrote: "Ouch! That sucks... I am very curious about this story, though I still regret the lost opportunity of Nix and Lothaire *sigh*..."

Mimi, Hmm... Yeah...I did like how they sparked off each other but I'd already suspected from the hints about his "one" in the previous books that it wouldn't be Nix.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* If the initial reviews are super enticing though, I may break down and order the Kindle edition. *bites knuckles*

message 6: by Mimi (last edited Jan 06, 2012 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "If the initial reviews are super enticing though, I may break down and order the Kindle edition. *bites knuckles*"

For some people it's drinking. For some people it's drugs. For some people it's candy. For us it's books! We're simply weak-willed and addicted and will never recover! At least it's healthier:). And cheaper in the long run I hope .

But, uhm, for me it's the chocolate, too, lol.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Mimi wrote: "But, uhm, for me it's the chocolate, too, lol."

LOL! Me, too, Mimi! Chocolate and books are my weakness. ^_^

Mimi Smith Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Mimi wrote: "But, uhm, for me it's the chocolate, too, lol."

LOL! Me, too, Mimi! Chocolate and books are my weakness. ^_^"

As it should be! How anyone lives without those, I don't know...

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Mimi wrote: "As it should be! How anyone lives without those, I don't know...

I love shoes(another weakness), but I could live without them(not all of them ya know, just the, uh, 15th pair). I save my major splurges for books, though. "

Oh, yes...How??? LOL

Shoes...Yes, another weakness. But you're right. I can live without buying new shoes - since I already have a gazillion ^_^ - but not new books and...Mmmm... Chocolate....

message 10: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Mimi wrote: "As it should be! How anyone lives without those, I don't know...

Hmm, just had a thought. Why is it women like chocolate more than men? Or do they just admit it? If men put down that list of weaknesses, what would be on it(not counting women)?
I guess books go both ways. Also, beer and...ESPN?

Lisa Kay Such a neat review, Lady Jayne! Love the pics. This should be good b/c I ♥ dimples.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Lisa Kay wrote: "Such a neat review, Lady Jayne! Love the pics. This should be good b/c I ♥ dimples."

Thanks, Lisa Kay. Oh, yes, Thad's dimples and his sweet nature...I hope he gets his own book! Love him! Have you read the other books in this series, Lisa?

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Mimi wrote: "Cake, too(I try not to discriminate, lol). Besides it has been scientifically proven that chocolate makes you happy. Who doesn't want to be happy AND eat something delicious? And who am I to argue with science?... "

Mimi, so sorry! I somehow missed responding to you.

Oh, yes, chocolate makes me happy, all right! And then it makes me sad when I put on weight. :-P

Men do like chocolate. My hubby loves chocolate. But nowhere near how much I do. And you're right, they don't use it to self-medicate. Yeah, for my hubby, it's ESPN and Playstation when he wants some "comfort" - NOT chocolate. LOL

Karla Fantastic review Lady Jayne. I just loved this book, and everything about it. The time that Nix and Lothaire spent, together sort of made me sad and was a real eye-opener about their relationship. I am not looking forward to the series winding down, but I was excited to hear about the spin-off.

Love the visuals. You always do such a nice job.

message 15: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Feb 03, 2012 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Karla wrote: "Fantastic review Lady Jayne. I just loved this book, and everything about it. The time that Nix and Lothaire spent, together sort of made me sad and was a real eye-opener about their relationship. ..."

Thank you, Karla.

Yes, I knew that Lothaire and Nix were enemies and had this long history together, but when I found out more about that...Wow. I think they are more suited as friends, as two mentally unstables would not be good together. But yes, I felt sad, too, for all the misunderstandings.

I read that Kresley Cole also has a new YA series coming. So I guess we won't get another IAD book till next year, sometime?

Lisa Kay Jayne, I still need to read Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #12) by Kresley Cole. However, I read A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole about two times a year. I re-read some of the others, also.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Ah, I see, Lisa Kay. I've re-read a few of them, too. But I don't read near as many books as you, so I can't fit in as many re-reads. ^_^ Well, I hope you enjoy the next two! Dreams of a Dark Warrior was a bit difficult for me to read, because of all of Declan's cruel acts. :-(

message 18: by Baba (new)

Baba  Another great review, Jayne! :))

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Baba wrote: "Another great review, Jayne! :))"

message 20: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith I'm glad you liked it Jayne! Some of my friends were disappointed. I loved Lothaire...

And your review.

I think Furie and Kristoff might be next. At least I hope so:D.

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Mimi wrote: "I'm glad you liked it Jayne! Some of my friends were disappointed. I loved Lothaire...

And your review.

I think Furie and Kristoff might be next. At least I hope so:D."

Really? I found it satisfying. Shame they were disappointed.

Yes, someone else who holds that theory! ^_^ I mean, that's the two characters where the foreshadowing was strongest on, I felt.

I'm looking forward to the Dacians' series! Kresley Cole gave me enough to intrigue me to their stories.

message 22: by Baba (new)

Baba  Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Baba wrote: "Another great review, Jayne! :))"

Thank you, Baba. And considering you don't read PNR, thank you so much for reading my review and taking the time to comment! ^_^"

Jayne, it has nothing to do with PNR. Even if I don't read the book I can read and like a review. It happens all the time!

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Oh, that's what I meant, Baba! The fact that you don't read PNR, and still take the time to read and comment on people's reviews of PNR books is appreciated by those you write the reviews, I'm sure. I know I sure do! ^_^

message 24: by Mimi (last edited Feb 04, 2012 04:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Mimi wrote: "I'm glad you liked it Jayne! Some of my friends were disappointed. I loved Lothaire...

And your review.

I think Furie and Kristoff might be next. At least I hope so:D."

Really? I fo..."

Well, yeah...but I'd prefer IAD :)

message 26: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Now, now...You haven't even read it yet! LOL You thought you wouldn't enjoy Lothaire not paired with Nix, remember? ^_^"

Well, yeah, and this was a nice surprise... But think about it

I dare you to say you'd prefer the Dacians :P

message 27: by Baba (new)

Baba  Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Oh, that's what I meant, Baba! The fact that you don't read PNR, and still take the time to read and comment on people's reviews of PNR books is appreciated by those you write the reviews, I'm sure..."

You're welcome, Jaynie! :))

Lisa Kay Lady Jayne wrote: "Well, I hope you enjoy the next two! Dreams of a Dark Warrior was a bit difficult for me to read, because of all of Declan's cruel acts. :-(..."

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Mimi wrote: "Well, yeah, and this was a nice surprise... But think about it

....

I dare you to say you'd prefer the Dacians :P "

Ahahahahaha, Mimi! You have an excellent point. But I also appreciate that authors need to expand themselves and I'm willing to let them explore other things, for a bit, so long as they don't keep me waiting on the next book in a series, for too long. I'm a patient person. I can wait. ^_^

message 30: by Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* (last edited Feb 06, 2012 12:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Lisa Kay wrote: " Lady Jayne wrote: "Well, I hope you enjoy the next two! Dreams of a Dark Warrior was a bit difficult for me to read, because of all of Declan's cruel acts. :-(..."

Yes! That is exactly why I stopped reading it, Jayne. I do need to get back to it so I can get onto Lothaire! "

I understand, Lisa Kay. I wish I could say I was as forgiving of Declan as others have been, and I guess I mostly forgave him, by the end. But I only gave it 4 Stars as there was quite a bit of it that I didn't enjoy reading, ie. the cruelty and torture. I'll be interested to see what you think when you continue the series!!

message 31: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Well, yeah, and this was a nice surprise... But think about it

Furie and Kristoff or The Dacians
Nix and her hero or ..."

I'm not so patient....But I'll have to wait, all the same, lol. I hope the Dacians turn out to be good. At least we know there'll be a lot of Lothaire in the books.