Eric's Reviews > A Quest for Godliness

A Quest for Godliness by J.I. Packer

Jun 03, 2011

This is part of a book review I wrote for both Knowing God and Quest for Godliness. I have tried to save the 5 stars for truly outstanding books. I encourage you to read this.

...In Dr. Packer’s A Quest for Godliness, he first goes through the rich history of the Puritans. He then writes about the Puritans and their views on Christian foundations (the Bible, the Gospel, the Holy Spirit, etc) and how the depth of their works and life should be used today. Our readings for this book focused a lot on Richard Baxter, John Owens, and Jonathan Edwards, men to whom we are greatly indebted to for their great spiritual impact in both their day and today.

These books were both excellent, however, I would highly admonish all to read A Quest for Godliness. While Dr. Packer writes about major parts of the Christian faith in Knowing God, his narrative of the Puritans as well as his summaries and practical insights on their lives was incredible. His expertise and knowledge on the Puritans is astounding. The book is well written, and thick with insights. It is a book that needs to be carefully read and thought through. At times I do think he paints an idealistic view of the Puritans, especially early on, but in the end, you realize that his idealism comes from the wealth of blessings that Dr. Packer and many have received from them. I greatly appreciate both Dr. Packer’s and the Puritans love for God and desire to point the reader to love our Creator, and to do so in way that is honoring to God, out of love, thankfulness, and reverence.

The Puritans were in a unique stage of history where they were blessed with a wealth of understanding into the Scriptures. They were able to extract the gold from God’s word, so to speak. As I read this book, it seemed that Dr. Packer was the tour guide, showing the Biblical gold that the Puritans labored at vigorously to unearth. There isn’t a secret to their work, they loved Christ and God greatly blessed them. We can have what they had through Christ and we can learn much through the Puritans. I want this, and this book pushed me towards wanting Christ more and to share Him and His work with many. This is a book I hope to read multiple times in my life. I think that there is lots of application, from prayer, reading the Bible, worship, to understanding the necessity of revival and praying that God would bring revival.

Best Quote
“The healthy Christian is not necessarily the extrovert, ebullient Christian, but the Christian who has a sense of God’s presence stamped deep on his soul, who trembles at God’s word, who lets it dwell in him richly by constant meditation upon it, and who test and reforms his life daily in response to it..” (Pg. 116)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Quest for Godliness.

Started Reading
April 1, 2010 – Finished Reading
June 3, 2011 – Shelved

message 1: by Avweroswo (new)

Avweroswo Akpojaro Hmmm. Thanks for this review.