MostlyHarmless's Reviews > Empire of Imagination: Gary Gygax and the Birth of Dungeons & Dragons

Empire of Imagination by Michael Witwer

An unvarnished telling of the life of Gary Gygax, Empire of Imagination is well written and easy reading. Witwer thoroughly documents his sources, which is helpful for further research by the reader, but more importantly it provides substantion for the multiple 'pseudo-fictional' parts of the narrative where Witwer chooses to imagine the words and thoughts of Gygax and others based on conversations/interviews that often occurred many years after the events depicted.

I have not played D&D for more than 3 decades, but I chose to read this book as a reminisence and to learn more about the creation of D&D as well as other TSR games. For a few brief years in my early teens D&D, followed by Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World, played a significant part in my leisure time.

I enjoyed learning so much of the back story behind the role playing game industry. The book has sad and happy moments, triumphs and tragedies. Gygax is shown as creative, talented, and brilliant, but also flawed (drug use and affairs spoiled his first marriage).

Highly recommended reading for all past and present RPG enthusiasts.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Imagination.

August 19, 2016 – Shelved