Giselle's Reviews > The Diabolic

The Diabolic by S.J. Kincaid

Well that took a while to get through, but overall a well written stand-a-lone. I did feel the book dragged on and there was a lot of exhaustive scenes with tons of build-up. Kind of felt the ending was rushed or maybe that just me? I did feel the faith versus science war would have made a better story-line than this problematic political family.. Yikes! The coolest part about the entire book was reading about their advancements such as med bots, beauty bots and even zero gravity dancing. That was an experience you had to read about. I also felt some scenes weren't too necessary plot-wise, it was more for characters and relationships to develop which isn't anything bad, I just got bored really easily. That's probably why it took me about five days to finish it. I just didn't have the burning rush to finish it so I ended up reading it super slowly.

One main thing I had with their history was that instead of favouring technology and science, they favoured their faith. But to me, that wasn't logical at all. How can you be traveling around the universe with one-thousand year old spaceships that are breaking apart?! If you don't advance your knowledge or technology, then the human race becomes stagnant. I'm all for the being religious, but I believe you need both. I was even hoping for another life form to come in and take over, maybe even the diabolics lol... I wanted Nemesis to start reading all the ancient books and start amassing knowledge at break-neck speeds.

I liked how the main character is literally from a humanoid point of view. That was fun to read because she didn't understand anything emotional. Granted, it was very predictable and cliche, but okay I give bonuses points for making this a political sci-fi read! Right off the bat, I immediately liked the love interest. Even from their first meeting, he made me laugh. I think most people would remember that encounter for a long time. I liked the problematic family situation though, I've never encountered characters quite like these before.

"The Diabolic" is a great stand-a-lone to add to your TBR lists, namely for the space-like setting and political intrigue. Grab this one if you like both!

RATING 4/5

QUOTES

"You can tell just by looking at me that I'm not a real person." (38)

"The Emperor wishes me to send my innocent little lamb to the slaughter. No. Instead, I'll send him my anaconda." (38)

"I had no soul and very little heart, but what heart there was belonged to her." (40)

"I love you more than I can bear sometimes. You're a wonder and you don't even know it." (53)

"I am more than this. I am more." (209)

"You are extraordinary. Is it selfish that all I can think now is that I want you for myself?" (270)

"Someone who can sacrifice one person's life so easily can also sacrifice others." (345)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diabolic.

August 19, 2016 – Shelved
August 26, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-dystopia
October 23, 2016 – Started Reading
October 23, 2016 –
page 5
1.2% "I don't know what she is, but she's creepy"
October 25, 2016 –
page 115
27.64% "I find Tyrus to be more genuine than any of his high-born family members so far"
October 25, 2016 –
page 145
34.86% "Yep she's doing a terrible job of not drawing attention to herself"
October 26, 2016 –
page 206
49.52% "Dancing in zero gravity? Imagine that! I can't really.."
October 26, 2016 –
page 250
60.1% "Don't know why it's taking me so long to get through this? Maybe because the pacing is slow and not a whole lot happens"
page 290
69.71% "Yea she's not her.. you're going to be betrayed I thinks"
page 340
81.73% "Finally!"
October 27, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-lgbt
page 373
89.66% "Yikes. That was brutal"
October 30, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 31, 2016 – Shelved as: 4-star
October 31, 2016 – Shelved as: arc-physical
October 31, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-romance
October 31, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-science-fiction
October 31, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-romance-slow-burn
October 31, 2016 – Shelved as: genre-space
October 31, 2016 – Shelved as: requested-for-review

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

sweazreads Love that you did quotes at the end of this review! Good idea.

message 2: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Ryland I agree that it moved too slowly. And that the world building was my favorite part!