Michael's Reviews > The Hunter

The Hunter by Richard Stark

liked it
bookshelves: crime, noir, pulp, 1960s

One of the rare times where the movie (Payback) is better than the book. It could be that I've seen the movie first but in my opinion the movie had a darker, rarer feel to it. As many people may know the hunter (and payback) tells the story of Parker, how is seeking revenge after been betrayed, shot and left for dead by his partner and his wife. But what many people may not know, is originally this was going to be a one off book, but the authors publisher convinced him to change the ending and offered him a three book deal. This deal has lead to the series now consisting in 24 books with the same protagonist. Where the series goes; I don't know, but I am a little curious to see where it goes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunter.

June 3, 2011 – Shelved
October 25, 2011 –
page 175
October 26, 2011 – Finished Reading
March 8, 2013 – Shelved as: 1960s

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim I had no idea this is where Payback came from. That is an awesome movie.

Michael Yeah well the character in Payback reminded me more of Max Payne than Parker

message 3: by ♥Xeni♥ (new)

♥Xeni♥ To be honest, the plot sounds familiar but I don't think I've actually seen the movie. Never heard of the book. But it does sound interesting so maybe I'll download the film for one of those rare nights I have nothing to study!

Ljuke I found the book (particularly the stuff with Parker's wife) pretty dark. Have you seen the Director's cut of the film?

Michael I have, I think the movie felt darker to me, I did enjoy the book, it would of been better if I read it first.

Have you read any of the others?

Ljuke No, I've got a few of them on the shelf, but haven't got there yet. The difference in the two cuts of the film were really interesting. I think I liked both versions, though they were so different.

message 7: by BMK (new) - added it

BMK I always thought that 'Payback' was a remake of the Lee Marvin film 'Point Blank'. Seems I was wrong and right at the same time...

Ljuke BMK wrote: "I always thought that 'Payback' was a remake of the Lee Marvin film 'Point Blank'. Seems I was wrong and right at the same time..."

They is both remakes of the book.

Michael I think the people who did Payback have said its a remake of Point Blank and never mentioned that it was also based on a book