Debbie Payne's Reviews > The Dog Healers: A Novel

The Dog Healers by Mark Winik

F 50x66

bookshelves: firstreads

I received this heartwarming book in a Goodread's Giveaway and am happy to be able to give this book a five-star rating. Anyone who has had a dog in his or her life will appreciate this book and will agree that dogs can definitely be "healers" when loved and understood by their owners. I have a two-year old puppy, a labradoodle, who is, at this very moment, lying on the bed in the spare room where I have my computer. And as goofy as he can be at any given moment, he has been a source of companionship along with an ability to keep my aFib at bay. I laugh more and keep my stress levels down.

My husband and I belong to a photography group that introduced us to a Wolf sanctuary several years ago, and each year we go back to the same group to take pictures and go inside their cages to play with them and touch them. One of the first wolves to come to the sanctuary, was known as a healing animal. She would be able to detect abnormalities in certain people she met. She would pester them and touch certain areas until the caregiver at the facility would come up and tell the person receiving all the attention might want to go see a physician. Sadly, this particular wolf passed away before we discovered this sanctuary. Several of the still remaining wolves and wolfdogs have exhibited some of her capabilities to detect problems with her visitors; but not to the extent that Cheyenne had. If wolves can become friends with people, then surely dogs can. A bond between a dog and his "people" is a special thing and this book proves it. I knew that dogs liked to be massaged but I didn't have any idea that Tibetan massage and spirituality could play a big part in bonding with dogs that had been abused or just disposed to a certain kind of temperament.

I also enjoyed the backstory of Carlos and Isabella. The book was not just a dog story but a story of love and compassion for each other. It was one of encouraging all dog owners to really treat their dog as they would a family member. Mark Winik did a wonderful job with his writing this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dog Healers.

August 19, 2016 – Shelved
August 19, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 20, 2016 – Started Reading
September 21, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 1, 2016 – Shelved as: firstreads

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Mark Winik Debbie, wow, Five Stars! I am so happy you liked my book.
Labradoodles are great. I've got a Whoodle, Chickie, who's six, and a Wheaten Terrier, Paco, who's 11, and there's as much puppy in them as ever.
I'm very interested in this Wolf Sanctuary. Do you have contact information for the place? I want to know about the 'healing dog', and my wife would love to have some of those photos for The Dog Healers Community Page on Facebook. It's not a book page -- we created it before I wrote the book to share photos, videos and stories, preferably about the healing power of dogs, but we don't get many on the subject, even with 25,000 followers.
Also: the ebook you were supposed to get with the print copy. I'm new to Goodreads and thought I could attach it to a message, but I can't, and your messages are off. If you let me know whether you want epub, mobi or pdf, I'll get it to you. My email is thedoghealers@gmail.com or if you don't share emails, message me and my wife will help me figure out download links.
Thank you very much!
And please, if you cross-post to Amazon, let me know so I can read your review again there. I suppose I'll end up hating reviews very soon but right now I am really loving them!

Debbie Payne Mark we are away from home right now. Our last RV trip for 2016. We are up at Estes Park outside of Rocky National Park . This will be our second time at something they call Elkfest. The elk come down to Estes Parl and pretty much take over the town. It is quite a fun weekend. The big bulls take over the two golf courses in town for rounding up their cows and sparing with younger bulls who try to steal the cows over to themselves. Their bugling calls can be hear all over the area. People come hear in droves to watch and take close-up pictures of these animals that can be quite aggressive. Some of the funniest pictures are people taking picture of selfies with a huge rutting bull behind them. Very stupid people. Whi would turn their back on wild animal known to charge an intruder at 25 feet?

Anyhow -- to make a long story short and If my wi-fi is good tomorrow I will try to get information to you on the wolf sanctuary and contacts. Right now the actual name of the sanctuary escapes me. Our photo group will be going up the second weekend in November. They have their winter coats by then.

More info to come.

Mark Winik Debbie, there is no hurry AT ALL for this. It could be weeks before I get to it.
I'll check out this Elkfest on Youtube for sure. It sounds like a hoot!
Best, Mark