Janet's Reviews > When a Lady Deceives

When a Lady Deceives by Tara Kingston

I received an ARC for a honest review

London, 1890. In Victorian London, reporter Jennie Quinn employs deception as a weapon. Going undercover to seek justice for a murdered informant. The books start with Jenny finding Mary McDaniel, her informant, with her throat cut in an alley. Jenny was to be given the diary Mary had kept whilst mistress to a powerful criminal. Enigmatic former lawman Matthew Colton is as dangerous as he is clever, but the passion in his kiss is too tempting to resist. Jennie aches to trust him, but she will not abandon her quest for the truth.
Colton is a man with secrets of his own. Thirsting for vengeance, the disgraced Scotland Yard detective has infiltrated the criminal world he’s vowed to destroy & is now his relative’s lieutenant, however he knows his cousin Hardwick would kill him with no qualms. Jennie intrigues him, even as she breaks down the barriers around his heart & he would give his life to protect her.
Jennie is a strong character & is drawn to Matthew, but knows she shouldn’t trust him.
The story is well paced & keeps you turning the pages. The author gives you a snap shot of life in late Victorian London from the Savoy to St Giles, the murky life behind the respectability of the late nineteenth century. This is the first of he author’s books I’ve read but won’t be the last.
If you like mystery, intrigue, deception, lies &, of course, romance then, you’ll enjoy this book – I did & I hope there are more in the series to follow

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When a Lady Deceives.

August 17, 2016 – Started Reading