Claire Fuller's Reviews > The Line of Beauty

The Line of Beauty by Alan Hollinghurst

bookshelves: read-in-2016

It took me a little while to get into this book, but when I did, I couldn't stop. For a little while I couldn't see what the point of the story was. The 1980s and especially Conservative politicians, and rich families weren't something that I thought interested me, but although that's the decade this book is set in, and that's the backdrop to what happens, it isn't about that at all. It's about thinking that you are accepted and welcomed, and then suddenly those that you thought loved you, turning and suddenly you can see them for what they are. Hollinghurst's language is beautiful - nearly every line is a treat - and his writing so subtle that he lets the reader work things out all by themselves. Wonderful stuff.
www.clairefuller.co.uk

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Line of Beauty.

August 10, 2016 – Started Reading
August 14, 2016 – Finished Reading
August 19, 2016 – Shelved
August 19, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-2016

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Annette So glad you liked this. I stumbled across a copy in a second hand bookshop only days ago, bought it and intend to read again.

Natasha I really enjoyed this book, vivid characters. They made an adaptation for TV many years ago. Which was also quite well done.

Claire Fuller Natasha wrote: "I really enjoyed this book, vivid characters. They made an adaptation for TV many years ago. Which was also quite well done."

Thanks, I might look that up.