Karen Mc 's Reviews > Anti-Stepbrother

Anti-Stepbrother by Tijan

LOVE IS FRIENDSHIP THAT HAS CAUGHT FIRE. ~Ann Landers

Sometimes when you least expect it, love throws a curveball your way. It sneaks up on you and steals your heart and soul, brandishing you to its power with a force as strong as the sun. Books are like love; we get lost in them. We feel them. We experience them. We are under their spell. Stories seize us unpredictably as love does, becoming much more. Anti-Stepbrother by Tijan stole my heart and soul like the power of love, crashing into me with a force I never saw coming, but one that made me splendidly succumb to this story over and over again.

From the first few pages, Anti-Stepbrother intoxicated me where I was immersed into the college world. These charismatic characters quickly became my classmates and my friends. As my college days flashed before my eyes, I was thrusted back to a care-free time of university life with classes, books, frat parties, and first time love. I lived and breathed this book as Anti-Stepbrother seeped into me, extracting every emotion, stealing every piece of me.

The story started out slow but a burn built that beckoned me right into the flames as my heart caught fire, a slow burn seeping into my soul. My emotions were heightened, swirling around in my head like a hurricane, waiting to hit where they would flood…all over me.

Beautiful Summer Stoltz has lusted after her stepbrother, Kevin, ever since her father married his mother and they moved into his house. One of the most popular guys on campus, Kevin filtered through girlfriends like water. Summer chased Kevin to college, hoping to be his permanent princess. Instead, Kevin’s enemy, a tough and gorgeous guy who was more popular on campus than Kevin, caught her eye and Summer could not stop looking at the beautiful distraction named Caden Banks.

“I’d always had Kevin on a pedestal, and for the first time, he looked less than. He now stood against a guy who seemed more male in almost every way.”

I LOVE CADEN! Caden Banks is all man. Tall, tattooed, muscular, genuine, and intense in every way that people stay out of his way.

Summer doesn’t like the cocky Caden at first though can’t dislike him either as her emotions run rampant.

“I hated him. No. I only wish I did.”

Somehow, in harmony over what a douche Summer’s stepbrother Kevin is, an odd alliance and friendship form between the lower-classman, Summer, and the upper-classman, Caden. One is shy, inexperienced and awkward. The other is confident and candid. Together...they work.

“I’d come to this event a nobody, but suddenly, with the acknowledgment that Caden Banks knew me, I knew I wouldn’t be a nobody for long.”

I wanted to scoop Summer up into a hug as her self-confidence needed a big boost. Cayden and Summer become fast friends, hanging out together all the time and sparking interest on campus. Suddenly, Summer is significant.

Summer is more reserved at first and appears meek, but Caden is the sun that makes her sprout, helping Summer growing from lamb to lioness. As Summer and Caden become closer, their friendship walks the line of love, confusing what they are…what they can be. That attraction brewing between them is building into something bigger.

“I looked at him and knew my emotions were shining through. If he’d glanced back at me, he would’ve seen everything I felt.”

Chemistry charges like a bull, hitting Summer and Caden with a sudden urge, forcing them out of the friend zone.

“I don’t know who started it, but it didn’t matter because we were kissing. His mouth was on mine. I was underneath him. I wanted to be more than underneath. I wanted to be with all of him…I just wanted to take his hurt away.”

These beautiful and bare words cut straight into me like a knife. My emotions were scattered all over the pages.

“She calmed me. She quieted me. She made the anger go away.”

Caden is broken but Summer is the glue helping repair his shattered soul.

“I wasn’t the sun. I was just reprieve in the darkness.”

As Summer and Caden get closer, the past strikes hard like lightning, threatening their new-found friendship and budding love.

“He delivered a bomb to me and stepped back as it detonated. I felt wrecked, but could only nod, because in that moment, I would’ve have given him anything.”

The wreckage ruined me; my heart shattered as I hoped for healing and happiness. Hoping for Summer and Caden to heal each other. Praying that the dark knight and his princess would ride off into the sunset together.

“I broke for someone who couldn’t break.”

Anti-Stepbrother broke me with a heavy hit to my heart where my tears bled onto the pages. Happy tears. Heartbreaking tears. Hopeful tears. The beauty in these words warmed my body and soul; I felt every word I read. Words that reached inside and grabbed my heart hard, tugging it the whole way where it stayed stuck in this story.

Tijan RUINED ME with Anti-Stepbrother in THE BEST WAY!!! Caden has my heart…THIS MAN IS EVERYTHING. THIS STORY IS EVERYTHING. My head was full of swoony sensations and so much goodness! I had not read a college romance that hit me that hard since Jamie McGuire’s Beautiful Disaster.

I did not expect to fall in insta-love with Anti-Stepbrother but I did. I did not expect this sweet and swoony story, Anti-Stepbrother, to shoot stars into my eyes and daggers in my heart but oh it did. I did not expect much of anything but got everything. Every tear. Every smile. Every laugh. Every gasp. Every beat of my heart. Anti-Stepbrother stole them all.

Anti-Stepbrother dug itself into my heart, penetrating it profusely and poignantly. I fell in love with this soul-searing story over and over again. I did not want to be done with my Anti-Stepbrother in a story I felt had only begun, one where the feels will remain long after the last page.

5 devastatingly beautiful stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anti-Stepbrother.

August 18, 2016 – Shelved
August 19, 2016 – Started Reading
August 19, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

Ruth McDonnell Loved this review, Karen! I can't wait to read this!❤

Karen Mc Thank you, Ruth! You'll fall in love with your Anti-Stepbrother for sure. ❤️

message 3: by Sonal (new) - added it

Sonal Awesome review ❤

message 4: by Emely (new) - added it

Emely Wow! This is an awesome review. No doubt you devoured the whole book. Can't wait to pop my Tijan cherry☺

message 5: by Carly (new) - added it

Carly Jenkins I absolutely love this review Gets me more and more excited!!! Come on tomorrow can't come fast enough!!!

Richelle Robinson Love this review!!!

message 7: by Nora (new) - added it

Nora Fresse great review. I'm dying to read this book.

message 8: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Williams love this review I normally don't read N/A but I'm definitely going to read this

message 9: by Edna (new) - added it

Edna Moran I'm going to read this book...sounds awesome.

Karen Mc Sonal wrote: "Awesome review ❤"

Thank you, lovely! :-)

Karen Mc Emely wrote: "Wow! This is an awesome review. No doubt you devoured the whole book. Can't wait to pop my Tijan cherry☺"

Thank you! I wish I had popped my Tijan cherry sooner but so glad I finally did! You'll love this story. :-)

Karen Mc Carly wrote: "I absolutely love this review Gets me more and more excited!!! Come on tomorrow can't come fast enough!!!"

Thank you so much, lovely! It's almost show time! :-)

Karen Mc Richelle wrote: "Love this review!!!"

Thank you, friend! :-)

Karen Mc Nora wrote: "great review. I'm dying to read this book."

Thank you! You'll fall in love hard and fast! :-)

Karen Mc Kelly wrote: "love this review I normally don't read N/A but I'm definitely going to read this"

Thank you! I normally don't read many college romances as rocker and sports romances are my favorite types, but I'l read any book now by Tijan and loved the nice change of the sweet college love story.

Karen Mc Edna wrote: "I'm going to read this book...sounds awesome."

You'll love it and thank you!

message 17: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Clark WOW! This is one of the most comprehensive reviews I have ever read. I am now most intrigued to read this book. Thanks for sharing. ❤️✌

message 18: by Janet (new) - added it

Janet Hammons I was already intrigued with this book but now I really can't wait for it to hit my Kindle

message 19: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Davis Love this review !! I'm dying for this book

Karen Mc Kate wrote: "WOW! This is one of the most comprehensive reviews I have ever read. I am now most intrigued to read this book. Thanks for sharing. ❤️✌"

Thanks, Kate! I was a writer in the corporate world before becoming a SAHM and blogger so the words tend to flow as fast as the feels when writing reviews. :-)

Karen Mc Janet wrote: "I was already intrigued with this book but now I really can't wait for it to hit my Kindle"

Thank you, Janet! :-)

Karen Mc Amy wrote: "Love this review !! I'm dying for this book"

Thank you so much, Amy! Not much longer now! :-)

message 23: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn Latimer Wow, that was an amazing review makes me want to read this book so much more. Then again I've been dying to read it since I've known about it.

message 24: by Brandy (new)

Brandy Roberts I always love reading reviews like this

message 25: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Bushrow What a comprehensive review!

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Brown Wow what a review, all authors must love having you review for them!

message 27: by Sandi (new) - added it

Sandi Thompson This revtwas so good! I'm ready to read this!

Mrs. Esquilin amazing review. can't wait to read this book

Karen Mc Lynn wrote: "Wow, that was an amazing review makes me want to read this book so much more. Then again I've been dying to read it since I've known about it."

Thank you so much, Lynn! Enjoy your Anti-Stepbrother!

Karen Mc Brandy wrote: "I always love reading reviews like this "

Thank you so much, Brandy! I enjoy writing reviews for books that I love.

Karen Mc Kathy wrote: "Wow what a review, all authors must love having you review for them!"

Thank you, Kathy! I was a writer in the corporate world before becoming a SAHM and blogger so the words tend to flow as fast as the feels when writing reviews, and yes, authors are happy and I love when they quote my words inspired by their words. :-)

Karen Mc Sandi wrote: "This revtwas so good! I'm ready to read this!"

Thank you so much, Sandi! You'll love this story!

Karen Mc Angie Esquilin wrote: "amazing review. can't wait to read this book"

Thank you, Angie! You'll love your Anti-Stepbrother. :-)

Letícia When you are smiling and have tears in your eyes just simply because you read a review! Well then you read a damn good one ! Thanks Karen You sold it to me ! Going to get the book now

Jeanny Excellent review. Definitely going to check this out. Glad I saw it as a recommendation/like on Marianne's time line.

message 36: by Jane (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jane Does this have an epilogue? The ending kinda felt lacking to me :)

Nishitaa Amazing review!!

Karen Mc Thanks, y'all! No epilogue, Jane, and I left hungry for more too. Thank you, Nishitaa! <3

message 39: by Vea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vea Wow, what a lovely review. I've always loved Tijan's books and when I saw she published another I was so excited and now reading your thoughts I'm so sure I'd love this (as always). Now I'm thinking why oh why I'm finding this book now and hold up, I'm going to break my rule shocks. *Start reading this and stop with my current one. Wow! I have no loyalty. I don't know why but I don't effing care and want to feel the guilt but because of you I think I'll move on. Hehe.
SO EXCITED !!!

message 40: by Seunelle (new) - added it

Seunelle Williams I loved Reading your review cant wait to read this book

Melanie Chabrol- love your review. this will definitely be on my to read list