Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > To Kill a Kingdom

To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo

Initial Impressions 6/17/19: This was a really fun read! At first I was worried it would be little too dramatic and serious, and it was a serious book, but I loved how the two characters developed and really balanced each other out. Elian was fantastic and basically had everything you could love in a character. Prince. Pirate. Sassy. Confident. He was such a fun character and really brought a little comic relief and humanity to Lira's death stares (not saying that in a bad way) and general intensity.

I really enjoyed the story and also that it was a stand alone. I actually really could have gone on reading a series for this one but I'm also glad that it wrapped up neatly in this book and it felt like just the right amount of story. I thought the plot was put together well and things really flowed! The pacing seemed to slow around the 75% mark for some reason, which is an odd place for me for things to feel like they're slowing down (usually when I start to lose steam it's about halfway in) and I had a couple things going on while I was trying to listen to the very end of the audiobook so I got distracted and had to go back and re-listen (my fault, not the book's fault) but it did kind of take away from some of the escalating moments at the end, unfortunately. Again, totally my fault but it did happen.

I've heard that this was a Little Mermaid/Sea Witch retelling (or adaptation?) and it could have been or it could have just been mermaid/siren lore as its foundation. I kind of liked that it could have been both at the same time and really was its own story as well. I always enjoy retellings or adaptations that take pieces or concepts but really develop their own plot, characters, and tone. TO KILL A KINGDOM totally had that!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Kill a Kingdom.

August 18, 2016 – Shelved