Maddy Broome's Reviews > After Isabella

After Isabella by Rosie Fiore

U 50x66

liked it

This was quite an enjoyable read although there were some parts that were not completely convincing and I thought the ending was a bit too neat. The review copy I was sent (by nudgebooks) compared the author Rosie Fiore to Maggie O'Farrell but I don't think this is of the same quality of writing as that.
The novel shows how everyday events such as bereavement; work stress; stroppy teenagers can have a domino effect on a person's life. At the funeral of Isabella,her best friend since childhood, Esther is brought back into contact with Sally, Isabella's younger sister. However the contact falters until eight years later, Isabella and Sally's mother dies and Esther attends that funeral too. She is shocked to see the change in Sally, who has been her mother's carer. Esther herself is a single mother with a close relationship to her daughter and a fulfilling.. job as Head of English at a university. Sally is overweight, lacking confidence and seems very needy. Esther isn't sure if she wants a friendship with her, but an uneasy relationship begins. As Sally's life improves, Esther's starts to go downhill.
It is not always easy to sympathise with Esther. A lot of her problems seem to be self inflicted. However it was fascinating to see how each small event in her life built up to have a catastrophic effect. Similarly it was interesting to see Sally take hold of her life and change herself. The person who was least convincing was Isabella and I wasn't sure of her significance to the plot.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Isabella.

August 7, 2016 – Started Reading