Jennie's Reviews > The Bird Sisters

Jun 02, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fiction, library-book, read-in-2011, read-in-june
Read from June 02 to 05, 2011

This novel is told in the present and in flashbacks to Twiss and Milly’s childhood. I really enjoyed this style as it tied thoughts and emotions they sister’s were feeling as old ladies back to their past. Their poor Midwest upbringing is full of upheaval, loss and that gray area childhood is famous for. They were very close until their cousin arrived to stay a summer with and with her she brought more life experiences to their doorstep than they ever imagined.

What sticks in my mind after finishing this book is the emotional upheaval that occurs in the last third of the story. I cried, bordering on sobbing, at the sacrifice one sister makes – I’m not sure I could have made the same choice she did. The sisters remained close, living out their shared life in their home – content. Yet, I couldn’t help but wonder what might have been for each of them had they spread their own wings instead of just repairing the injured birds that found their way to the sisters. I ached for the unknown and unrealized potential even while I understood how circumstances pushed Milly and Twiss.

This book reads like a Southern novel – drama served with sugar-laced cookies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bird Sisters.