Nia Ireland's Reviews > Hunter of the Dead

Hunter of the Dead by Stephen Kozeniewski

22419595

The gloves are off!

Up to now, Kozeniewski's books have been funny with a side order of gore but this one is just straight up gore with a side order of horror. People get their faces eaten off and children are being fed to ancient demons.

If I had to guess the biggest influence of this novel, I'd probably go with From Dusk Til Dawn. The vampires aren't glittery and sexy and the hunters aren't angsty and indestructible and there are Tarantino levels of ick in this book, so it's a breath of fresh air on that count.

The story progresses at a fast pace, each chapter dedicated to a different character and perspective which is something I really enjoy - especially with immortal characters, you know you're going to get some great flashbacks to add to the current story-line.

The Hunter of the Dead is an ancient legend come back to cull the undead in Vegas as their numbers have grown too high, the trouble is that he's not really that picky about who he kills. This leads to a very uneasy truce between the vampires and the hunters before all hell breaks loose.
Could there be anywhere better for a vampire showdown than Las Vegas? I think not.

My favourite character has to be Idi-Han, the precocious baby vampire who's sick of taking everyone's shit. She's finally in a position of power after a lifetime of being a pawn in everyone else's game and she's going to use it to make sure no one else can control her fate from now on, which is something I think we'd all do if we could make people's heads explode with one hand.

What really makes this book stand out for me has to be the whole new level of gore, I don't think I've ever read anything so shamelessly horrifying before and it was AWESOME.
If real horror vamps and gritty vampire hunters are your thing, then you really can't read this book soon enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hunter of the Dead.

August 18, 2016 – Shelved