Angie's Reviews > An Ember in the Ashes

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

bookshelves: audio, fantasy
Read 2 times. Last read June 13, 2018 to June 16, 2018.

My Re-Read Review (June 2018): This is definitely just as good the second time around. It was great to be able to focus on some of the smaller detail in the story and really delve into the characters as opposed to just letting the story carry me along. I am still just as in love with this book and the characters. I definitely like Elias in this book the most out of all of them so far. The world building is so fantastic, you can really picture the cold military type setting of Blackcliff and the bright festive feel of the Moon Festival. This is definitely a world and a story to get drawn into and be there for all the ups and downs.

Synopsis: "Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself."

My Review (August 2016): I have been hearing a lot about this book, especially since the second book just came out. I found it on sale on Audible so thought I would give it a try, but I never expected this! Wow, really this book blew me away. The world building was a little rocky at first but the connection with the characters was instant, I loved them right way and was a little irritated every time a view point chapter would end and leave you hanging. With that said the book moved along so quickly, there is constantly something happening, new twists being pulled out of the plot line and a never ending emotional rollercoaster. I really enjoyed that this book was also narrated by two people, it helped differentiate both Elias and Laia's view points and find their individual voices. You are definitely left at a bit of a cliffhanger ending so I suggest having the next book ready to go, I myself will be downloading as soon as possible!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Ember in the Ashes.

August 18, 2016 – Shelved