Jessica Loves Books's Reviews > We Are Unprepared

We Are Unprepared by Meg Little Reilly

Aug 18, 2016

liked it
bookshelves: 3-stars

This book was okay for me. It started out promising, but there were several points along the way that it kind of bogged down and I lost interest. I would put it down and go off to do something else, and then come back to it later. I liked the narrator, Ash, but there were certain times where his inability or unwillingness to confront or stand up to his wife really annoyed me. This is the first "cli-fi" book that I have read, and while I did enjoy the events that created all of the tension and suspense in the story, I ended up feeling like even that was disappointing. There didn't seem to be enough real preparing or worry about what was going on. The storm event that happened didn't really seem to live up to all of the hype.

My favorite part of the book was when the focus shifted away from the storm and dealt more with the relationship between Ash and his wife Pia. It is interesting to see how outside events and influences change people, sometimes for the worse, sometimes for the better. You learn more about a person in a second of crisis than you may ever know in a lifetime of peace and calm. I enjoyed the journey that Ash and Pia went on as both evolved into different, and not necessarily better, people.

Overall, I guess I can say that it ended up being an okay read. If you like this genre, it is worth checking out.

**Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Are Unprepared.

August 14, 2016 – Started Reading