Maggie Anton's Reviews > The New Joys of Yiddish: Completely Updated

The New Joys of Yiddish by Leo Rosten

bookshelves: funny, humor, jewish, judaism

I never read the original cover to cover, just looked up words I was interested in. I'm glad I took the time to read all of this version. I both enjoyed and learned from this book. While I am familiar with most of the words here, many I needed reminding of their meaning again. I definitely like this new version better than the 1968 original. I hadn't realized how sexist [perhaps even misogynist] the old one was, but thankfully the editor calls out Rosten on this, as well as Rosten's tendency to criticize Reform Judaism. Things have certainly changed in 50 years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New Joys of Yiddish.

August 17, 2016 – Shelved
September 6, 2016 – Shelved as: jewish
September 6, 2016 – Shelved as: judaism
September 9, 2016 –
page 45
9.07% "I'm up to "bupkes" and enjoying the New version as much, or more, than the original."
September 27, 2016 –
page 72
14.52% "Up to the "C's" and so far I like new version better than the 1968 original."
October 5, 2016 –
page 129
26.01% "Now up to the G's, I just learned that "glitch" is a Yiddish word for a risky or shady enterprise. But that is according to the original 1968 edition. Today, as pointed out a footnote in this revised edition, we know "glitch" as describing an inadvertent computer error."
October 21, 2016 –
page 160
32.26% "Into the K's and still enjoying this book. Considering how busy I've been with the holidays, a book that can be read as few or many pages as I have time for is a blessing."
October 27, 2016 –
page 212
42.74% "Up to the letter M; I can't believe I'm reading every page and not just skimming for the words I know."
November 29, 2016 –
page 243
48.99% "For some strange reason, Rosten gives us almost eight pages on "meshiach" [Yiddish for messiah] by detailing 1800 years of various failed Jewish messiahs. Oddly, he does not mention Jesus."
December 12, 2016 –
page 301
60.69% "I'm up to the "R's" and still both enjoying and learning. I am familiar with most of the words here, but many I needed reminding of their meaning again."
January 9, 2017 –
page 326
65.73% "No surprise that there are lots of Yiddish words that start with "sh""
January 18, 2017 –
page 356
71.77% "Definitely lots of Yiddish words that start with "sh" since I'm only up to "shmuck" - which between the definition and examples, takes up almost 2 full pages."
May 16, 2017 –
page 380
76.61% "I'm up to the T chapter, so I'm in the home stretch. I never read the original cover to cover, just looked up words I was interested in. I'm glad I'm taking the time to read all of this version."
December 7, 2017 – Finished Reading