Nicole's Reviews > The Great Good Thing

The Great Good Thing by Roderick Townley

liked it

Great family read aloud! I read this for the first time several years ago and remembered liking it. I could remember the very basics of the plot and characters, so when I spotted the book again while perusing our bookshelves I wanted to read it again to remember the details. I had been looking for something to read aloud with my kids that would be of interest to a wide span of ages, but also have substance, and possibly be something they may not pick up on their own. From what I could remember The Great Good Thing seemed like it would fit the bill nicely.

It was fun trying to explain to my kids what it was about when they asked. "Well...it's about characters in a book." The looks on their faces showed clearly the response, "Duh. That's what all books are about." "No really, it's about characters in a book, in the book. And what they are doing when someone is not reading their book." The light of understanding began to glimmer.

My description didn't thrill them, but they were willing to let me read aloud the first chapter and then if they really hated it we'd choose something else. Let's just say we read 3 chapters that first night. As my 11 and 13 year old daughters were heading off to bed after we finished reading I asked them what they thought. Their silence and little smirks told me all I needed to know. They were intrigued, but they couldn't possibly admit to their mother that maybe I had been right about this book choice.

So we continued reading, and not one of us, from my 6 year old son to my 13 year old daughter, wanted to miss read aloud each night. It's an easy read, but not boringly simple in plot, character development, or language. It's such a satisfying fantasy to imagine favorite book characters as truly living in their own book world and being our friends to help us through good times and bad.