C.G. Drews's Reviews > George

George by Alex Gino

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, middle-grade, read-2016

omgggg I AM HAVING AN EMOTION. Maybe even two emotions (which is a lot for my Vulcan soul). George is a downright adorable and heartwarming book. I wasn't sure if I'd like it purely because I usually struggle with being engaged with MG, but the voice and writing were PERFECT and the story was completely engaging and I adored George herself. Seriously, by the end I was grinning like a complete goofy grape. THIS BOOK. MY HEART. <3

There are so many things to love in this book. A huge one is the emphasis on Charlotte's Web, which is a freakishly fantastic book. I highly approve of George's infatuation with Charlotte. I highly disapprove of the school LETTING THE YEAR 1 CHILDREN READ THIS OMG. WAY TO TRAUMATISE ALL THE KIDS. I'm crying still just thinking about Charlotte's Web. (Why were children's books so horrible back then omg?) Ahem. SO. Child-traumatising aside, I love how George decided she needed to play Charlotte to kind of give her the confidence to come out, and also just to show people she was a girl. Sometimes actions are easier than words and I appreciate that and it made George really relatable.

George was totally adorable. I adored her friendship with, Kelly. And Kelly...afjdksald the way she accepted George was so beautiful. (And should just be the normal reaction tbh.) I honestly just wanted the world to love George because she was so incredibly loveable and. omg. #feelings

Also my favourite moment... has to be how hard George found it to smile/be happy at the beginning and then at the end NO ONE HAD TO TELL HER TO SMILE. (I won't tell you why, because #spoilers, but it just made me smile. It was so beautiful.)

The story is, of course, not without its conflict and hard moments. But I really appreciated that it was an uplifting story. And George really did feel like a 10 year old, so that was awesome. The writing just seemed effortless and I just wanted to swallow the whole book in one bite. Also, speaking of eating (because somehow I always end up reviewing books like they're food omg), I highly appreciate the amount of delicious food that was consumed in this novel. Applause.

ALL IN ALL: I totally surprised myself with how much I loved it! It's cute and totally snabbled my heart and it's one of the best written MG books I've gobbled for a while. It did take me a while to get into the story, but eh. Whatever. ADORABLE BOOK IS ADORABLE. AND HAPPY.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George.

August 17, 2016 – Started Reading
August 17, 2016 – Shelved
August 18, 2016 – Shelved as: 4-star
August 18, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
August 18, 2016 – Shelved as: middle-grade
August 18, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
August 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by I'mogén (new) - added it

I'mogén This sounds absolutely amazing! I really need to read it!

Caroline Yesss this book gave me so many emotions!!

Allyson This book looks so great. Really nice review, I will read it soon.

bhavi I LOVE this book. It is my heart and soul! I am so glad you enjoyed it <3

message 5: by ella (new) - added it

ella You should read Keeper of the Lost Cities, it's the MG book that I keep commenting on your Instagram account and going on about XD

Sophia I'm so glad you liked it!! I made it my staff pick in the store I work at because it's just such an important book to read & just so ADORABLE.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

yea! continue on reviewing books like food! yea! whooohoooo!

La Coccinelle Interesting. While I liked the premise and all that, I thought that the kids didn't seem like 10-year-olds. Weird that we came to opposite conclusions!

message 9: by ClaireEva (new)

ClaireEva Cait what age group would you say this is targetted for?