Terence's Reviews > Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5: Super Famous

Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5 by G. Willow Wilson

23206148

liked it

Kamala Khan is busy. She has the normal teenager stuff like school, homework, and family obligations to deal with,
description
but then she's also the superhero Ms. Marvel. Did I mention she's an Avenger now too?
description
Ms. Marvel is facing off against an evil entity that is using her likeness to turn people against her while they take over Jersey City.
description
So Kamala and Bruno come up with a great plan to make clones of Kamala. I mean what could go wrong?
description

I like Ms. Marvel. I want to say that before anyone gets the wrong idea. My issue is I'm 1.) a guy, 2.) Over 30, and 3.) Not a Muslim. I say that because much of what makes Kamala special is lost on me because I don't relate. She's a fun character and her powers are interesting. She's massively powerful and even though she mostly just grows and shrinks, she can actually do far more. In Super Famous Kamala is just plain run down dog tired. School and family all day with superheroing all night will burn anyone out. Kamala is hanging in there, but it's not going that well. To top it all off Bruno has moved on and started dating just as Kamala was accepting his feelings for her. Sometimes it's no fun being a hero, but Kamala wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5.

August 17, 2016 – Shelved
August 17, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 23, 2016 – Started Reading
August 23, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

B. P. Rinehart I didn't think you would like it that much. It is my favorite volume of the whole series--until the current storyline resolves. A lot of the cracks in her armor from volume 5 start to become more prominent with CWII.

message 2: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Quixote I’m a guy, over 30, and not a Muslim but I love the series and have no trouble relating to Kamala - I don’t think that’s an accurate criteria for liking/disliking the book.

Terence Sam wrote: "I’m a guy, over 30, and not a Muslim but I love the series and have no trouble relating to Kamala - I don’t think that’s an accurate criteria for liking/disliking the book."

I rarely if ever speak for anyone and in truth I wasn't speaking for anyone in this either. I personally feel those portions of myself limit my enjoyment of Ms. Marvel. I'm glad none of that hangs you up, but I fully believe it hangs me up.

message 4: by Lexxi Kitty (new) - added it

Lexxi Kitty I do not live in New Jersey, I am not a teenager, and am not a Muslim - I do, though, live across the river in New York, and seemingly by accident appear to be living in an enclave of many Middle Eastern peoples (many of whom are Muslim). For half a decade or more.

I hadn't really thought about it, but that probably adds a little something to my enjoyment of the series - that I do experience, close up though second hand, the live and times of modern New York-New Jersey area Muslims.

(Just like there was a little unexpected jolt that went through me when I saw the first Captain America film in a theater in Brooklyn, and the beginning was set in Brooklyn and there was a bunch of 'I'm from Brooklyn' type things - things like that add a little 'something').

Terence Lexxi Kitty wrote: "I do not live in New Jersey, I am not a teenager, and am not a Muslim - I do, though, live across the river in New York, and seemingly by accident appear to be living in an enclave of many Middle E..."

That's cool I always enjoy those little extras that add something to the experience. I've had a few stories like that such as Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows. It's an alternate world story where Spidey is a Dad in it and makes some un-Spider-Man like decisions to protect his wife and newborn daughter. I'm married and I have two little ones so it really spoke to me.