Jenn(ifer)'s Reviews > Brief Interviews with Hideous Men

Brief Interviews with Hideous Men by David Foster Wallace

Jun 02, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: abandoned, short-shorts, own

Ugh. Wow, this is just... bad. By page 230, I had had enough. The thing is, it's as if he decided he had to use every trick up his literary sleeve and instead of relying on the ingenuity and originality of his stories, he mucks it all up by trying too hard to be "unique." There are the brief interviews, which in and of themselves are interesting (saving this reviewer from having to give the author of one of my favorite books of the year one measly star). Then there are several short stories sprinkled in, some of which contained interesting ideas but they just didn't go anywhere. One story that could have been really good, The Depressed Person, ended up irritating the heck out of me because every time he talked about her, he called her "the depressed person." I found it so tedious and awkward. One day when I'm feeling particularly masochistic, I may decide to finish the last few stories, but until then, this book can collect dust on the shelf where it belongs.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brief Interviews with Hideous Men.

June 2, 2011 – Shelved
November 8, 2011 – Finished Reading
June 10, 2012 – Shelved as: own
October 11, 2013 – Shelved as: abandoned

message 1: by Ben (last edited Nov 08, 2011 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben Well said; this is why I can't make myself read Infinite Jest. The man was far too in love with his own 'intelligence.' (And yet . . . I did like this one; some of the stories were amazing, even.) But the religous-like following of this guy bothers me; he was too aware of himself -- too aware of his own intelligence and too in love with his literal manipulations -- to be great. Even his philophy -- like that speech he gave at a graduation that they turned into a book -- is WAY WAY WAY over-hyped.

Jenn(ifer) I wondering how much of your liking it has to do with the fact that you listened to it rather than reading it?

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen P refreshing how candid and clear you are.

Jenn(ifer) I am in the minority with this one Stephen, but I appreciate that!

message 5: by Stephen (new)

Stephen P it's so easy jenn. to make oneself clear when walking in step with the majority and keeping to their cadence. I admire anyone in the minority who does not compromise their views and maintains their voice throughout. a dfw love fest will lead no further true discourse or insights. So. Hang in there.

message 6: by Ben (new) - rated it 1 star

Ben Fishel How did you get to page 230?? This book was awful

Kimberly I also managed to get to "the depressed person" section, and couldn't stand it. So I skipped to the next short, which was almost equally annoying, simply because of the confusion involved. I don't think I'm a fan of DFW's writing style, although I hold a certain kind of respect for those that are.