Denae's Reviews > Tomato Rhapsody: A Fable of Love, Lust & Forbidden Fruit

Tomato Rhapsody by Adam Schell

I kept hoping it would get better. For a short time it seemed as though it would. Then we got to the donkey dicks. This book came highly recommended to me. It presents a fantastic example of how two people with generally similar tastes can diverge drastically.

I found myself struggling with the writing from the very beginning. It was verbose and reminiscent of a student who has not yet learned which adjectives are descriptive and which merely distract. The plot felt disjointed. The author, for no reason apparent to me, repeatedly diverged from the telling of the story into explanations of how another author wrote that people should write when telling a story. It distracted.

The stereotype of the noble, overly-emotional peasants of a village in beautiful Tuscany has been flogged until it is beyond dead and falling apart. So has that of the nobleman who goes among said peasants and learns important life lessons. This book does nothing to improve or add to that already overcrowded field.

The descriptions of the food really were amazing. I wish the rest of the book had lived up to them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tomato Rhapsody.

June 2, 2011 – Shelved
June 3, 2011 – Started Reading
June 3, 2011 –
page 75
22.06% "I remain skeptical, but the person who recommended it does have similar taste. Still, it has rhyming dialog ffs."
June 4, 2011 –
page 340
100.0% "Well...at least it was short..."
June 4, 2011 – Finished Reading
October 17, 2011 – Shelved as: recommended-by-a-friend
November 22, 2011 – Shelved as: the-fuck-is-this-the-fuck-was-that
December 21, 2011 – Shelved as: list-worst-books-read-in-2011
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2011
August 10, 2012 – Shelved as: challenge-1010-by-2020
July 4, 2013 – Shelved as: nook

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

ahahahaha

I'm so glad you read it before me. I think I'll give it a pass now.

Thanks for taking one for the team :P

Denae What, this doesn't inspire you to read it? Would telling you there is a sex scene in a giant pot of tomatoes change your mind?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

No. Not even a little bit.

o_o