Connie G's Reviews > A Room with a View

A Room with a View by E.M. Forster

bookshelves: fiction, italy, 1001-books, england, byt-group-read

This coming-of-age story shows Lucy caught between the repressive rules of Victorian society and the more liberal values of the Edwardian age. She is vacationing in Italy, and is exposed to various social classes mixing together and acting in a more relaxed manner than in her English hometown. Lucy is admired by two very different men. Upper class Cecil is a snobbish, bookish man who would be more socially acceptable to marry. The more liberal, but lower class, George values Lucy's ideas, is more sensual, and is drawn to the natural world.

The book is quite humorous as it illustrates the class differences, manners, and customs of the early 20th Century English. Lucy changes as an individual into a more confident woman who has a voice in determining her future. However, her relationship with George seemed a bit rushed. Overall, I found "A Room With A View" to be a light, charming story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Room with a View.

August 16, 2016 – Shelved
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: 1001-books
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: england
October 6, 2016 – Finished Reading
October 16, 2016 – Shelved as: byt-group-read

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Missy J (new)

Missy J Nice review Connie! This year I read "A Passage to India" and thought about reading another Forster novel. After reading your review, I'm quite intrigued with "A Room with a View" :)

Dolors Concise but very informative review and a good reminder of this book, Connie.

Candi Great review, Connie. I read several Forster novels in high school and am way overdue for a re-read! Glad you enjoyed this.

Connie G Missy J wrote: "Nice review Connie! This year I read "A Passage to India" and thought about reading another Forster novel. After reading your review, I'm quite intrigued with "A Room with a View" :)"

Thanks, Missy. Howards End is quite good too, although A Room with a View is shorter and lighter.

Connie G Dolors wrote: "Concise but very informative review and a good reminder of this book, Connie."

Dolors, I was wishing I could fly to Italy and see Florence again. I wouldn't even be greedy and ask for a room with a view :-)

Connie G Candi wrote: "Great review, Connie. I read several Forster novels in high school and am way overdue for a re-read! Glad you enjoyed this."

Thanks, Candi. The Merchant-Ivory film of this book is filmed beautifully, and Daniel Day-Lewis is marvelous as Cecil. You might enjoy checking it out since you've already read the book.

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Very nice review, Connie!!

Connie G Deanna wrote: "Very nice review, Connie!!"

Thank you, Deanna.