Coryl's Reviews > Flamecaster

Flamecaster by Cinda Williams Chima

bookshelves: read-2016, wishlist, fantasy, 4-star, young-adult

I'm reminded of so many other fantasy stories while reading this, so Chima manages to, once again, use tropes in her genre without reducing them to cliches. I have three concerns/critiques for FLAMECASTER:

1) As is often the case with fantasy series, the first book feels like a set-up for the larger story. For me, personally, this is very hit-or-miss, as I believe that books should stand on their own, even within a series. This book had very little plotline to stand alone on, and made up for it in the development of the characters of Ash and Jenna.

2) The insta-love was... not my thing. I really hope it is, in line with one of the character's beliefs, a taste to savour in the moment. I appreciate how it was constructed, but I really, really hope by the end of the series, they aren't all soul-matey. This one is entirely my own preferences.

3) The scope of this novel was very large. Multiple years passed, and there was a lot of wide brush strokes to show that passage of time. I'm not sure how I feel about this--it was good for some reasons, but not so great for other reasons. I didn't get the fast-paced excitement I've gotten in other works by Chima--within and without the Seven Realms--but the pacing was very apt for introducing a new cast of characters. In a way, readers were given backstory in the narrative, rather than the normal flashback, so we read in chronological order from origins and motives to the final outcomes.

TL;DR: A character-driven introduction to the new spin-off series, with a blossoming insta-love that I hope blooms and wilts. The story wasn't fast-paced enough, but it maintained linear storytelling instead of cliche flashbacks.

I'm excited to read the next book. There was so much to FLAMECASTER that was left open-ended and I need to know the fates of characters, the reveals to subplots, what the rest of the royal family was up to, and most of all... more about the Flamecaster. Take me to Carthis and Empress Celestine!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flamecaster.

August 16, 2016 – Shelved