Josie's Reviews > The Ginger Tree

The Ginger Tree by Oswald Wynd

Mar 08, 2008

did not like it

** spoiler alert ** (**contains spoilers) To me, this book was "Shogun," only the main character was a woman and the time period was three hundred years later. In fact, the only thing that I liked about this book was that it was set in Japan from 1900-1940, an interesting period when the country began to assert itself as a world power and Western cultural was rapidly changing the social landscape. But the story--naive Scottish girl travels to China to marry British diplomat, has child with the husband, has affair with Japanese aristocrat, gets pregnant as a result, divorces husband and child taken away, has baby of Japanese aristocrat, moves to Japan under aristocrat's protection, aristocrat takes away her second child, then she goes it alone in Japan, (against all odds, of course), as a foreigner and woman with a past in a country that barely tolerates both...sheesh--I can hear the orchestra swelling up again! No wonder it was adapted as a "Masterpiece Theater" mini-series...I filed this book under "cheesy."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ginger Tree.