Lexie's Reviews > The Scent of Lilacs

The Scent of Lilacs by Barbara Hazard

liked it
bookshelves: romancerrproject

Ha they get MARRIED at Christmas (it's not a spoiler, this IS a romance) so counts as holidays.

If I had to guess Barbara Hazard was one of my top 5 favorite Regency authors in my teens. Her books were almost always auto-buys for me and indeed I bought this one new from Borders when it came out in 2001.

I mainly remember enjoying this because it was very different from the other Regencies at the time. It was told in first person, had a bit of a gothic mystery attached to it and while the romance was good it didn't seem the main focus.

In a lot of ways it reminded me of Northanger Abbey actually.

On re-read I still believe all of that...though find the heroine as clueless as a doorknob in many of the scenes. Indeed late in the book when she claims not to be blind to her brother's flaws despite loving him I rolled my eyes so hard I thought the one had popped out.

The back cover lies, she's not as practical as she seems - just next to her reprobate brother she's a bloody Saint.

That all being said, and even knowing some of the twists, I still enjoyed this and liked that the hero comes to his realization quickly and the works to secure her hand by dealing with her problems.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scent of Lilacs.

August 15, 2016 – Shelved